Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece and Poop

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
Has anybody figured out a great, fast way to pick poops up off the fleece? For me, vacuum cleaners suck up the fleece and a broom and dustpan seems to just scatter the poops everywhere! Perhaps I simply have poor technique? I've resorted to putting on a pair of neoprene gloves and just scooping/picking up by hand.

Hmm... I've only ever used a hand broom and dust pan and I've never had a problem!
I've heard of some people using a toilet paper roll with the end folded over to scoop the poop. Some people also use large spoons to scoop.

I don't use one big piece of fleece to cover the floor, but have cut the fleece into smaller pieces so I can shake out only the areas that need it into a small garbage can and then put them back down if they are not wet or dirty. Usually in the morning the bedroom areas need shaking and at night I replace them with clean fleece. Also I have covered the area where the hay is with old sheet material I have sewed. It is really easy to sweep up poops or hay off the sheet material with a small broom and dustpan. The girls love to supervise the morning cleaning. At night they go into the piggy play area while I clean up the cage.

I use a plastic cup to scoop. :)

I have used both a broom and a vacuum. I find a vacuum is some what faster but scares my pigs. While a broom and dust pan takes longer but I can get ever tiny bean. I also have no ick factor with picking a stray bean with my hands. I'm odd I guess.

I also have no ick factor with picking a stray bean with my hands. I'm odd I guess.

I do the same! It would be different if piggies ate meat, but since their foodies come from plants, I'm not too concerned!

I also have no ick factor with picking a stray bean with my hands. I'm odd I guess.

You are not odd at all. Every time I sit and talk to the girls I am picking up stray beans. I pick up poop, wash my hands, pick up poops, wash my hands..........

Maybe it's a Canadian thing? :D

HA HA must be ;)

LOL That is exactly how I clean up my pigs poo. I just wash my hands well after. Doesn't gross me out a bit, and I am a clean freak (for home, and self cleanliness).

Also guilty :sarcastic

I use a hand broom and a little dustpan without any issues. I hold the pan against the fleece and sweep the poop into the pan.

I hhave found that picking the corners up and slowly gathering the poops in the ccenter then u fold the blanket in half ands tip the poops into the gardbage I have also found that. Taking and picking the poops out daily makes it easier in the end. Sorry if the words are messed up. That's war happens when u try to Tupperware on an iPod

Ok thank you everybody! I think first I will try to hone my broom/dustpan skills! Yeah I sometimes put on gloves when there is a lot of poop, especially when it has been urinated on. But a stray bean here and there - Let's just say I believe in my immune system. Plus, as ellisa said, feces from omnivore/carnivores is MUCH more disgusting than from vegetarians.

I hhave found that picking the corners up and slowly gathering the poops in the ccenter then u fold the blanket in half ands tip the poops into the gardbage I have also found that. Taking and picking the poops out daily makes it easier in the end. Sorry if the words are messed up. That's war happens when u try to Tupperware on an iPod

HAHA!!! Oh this reminds me of stuff you find on damnyouautocorrect.com Love it lol

To the OP, I just use a handheld dustpan and broom/brush. Found it at Petco near the kitty litter and stuff. Works wonders :)

I also do what Nicholle does, lift the corners and shake the poops to the center and then I just sweep them into the dust pan. Easy as scooping poops. Haha!

I use my hands, I babysit with 3 little boys everyday,so i'm used to poop.:)

We use a plastic SOLO party cup. It works better for us than the broom and dustpan we started with.

I generally use a a plastic toy shovel (the kind you'd give a kid to make sandcastles) to pile it all up before scooping it with it. I find it grinds less into the fleece and gets less icky with fresh poop or if there is urine involved than the brush and dustpan method. The pigs are also less obsessive over it. I'm not sure about other people's pigs but mine go nuts for cleaning time (and yes I do clean at least twice a day). If I use the dustpan method they're either trying to eat/latch onto the brush or sit in the pan. Possibly both. My lone boy (I've got 2 others, but one of them bullies/attacks the lone piggy) is also OBSESSED with the ice-cream bucket I put the soiled stuff and poopies into. If he's not desperately trying to climb up and latch onto the side of the bucket to pull it down he jumps up onto his house and tries to dive bomb his way into it. If he manages to get in the bucket he proceeds to dig his way to the bottom, throwing stuff anywhere. He just seems to like to dig... does anyone else's pigs dig? I'm always finding his bathroom box all dug up.

The dustpan DOES work well for a final cleaning before you put it into the laundry though, since it seems to get most of the fur off (which is nice when you've got 3 long haired piggies).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.