Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece and hay

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I have been using fleece for my 7 pigs for a while now. I find it easier to clean and it is much better than using bedding. However I have a problem with keeping the hay off the fleece. I don't mind the mess it creates but it clogs up the washing machine and the fleece has tiny bits of hay stuck to it and it is making it sharp. Does anyone have a way to keep the hay off the fleece? I have hay racks but it still creates massive amounts of mess. I tried a hayloft but my eldest pig refuses to go up the ramp.

I previously had a box of hay instead of the hayracks but the sides were too high for my old and fat pigs to jump over.. so I am stuck for ideas! So do you have any ways?

Thanks! xx

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
I just shake the fleece off really well outside. Usually it all comes off.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Try a two gallon black and deckor (Or other brand) dustbuster. It should take it off as long as it is little bits at a time.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I know your problem - that's why mum doesn't let me use the washing machine because she doesn't want hay being clogged up.

What I do is take my towels into the garden and hit them against the wall (the people in the flats must think I'm a loon. I also shake really hard (most of the hay and hair just goes into my eyes though, so be careful!)

I used a kleenex box to put the hay in and that wasn't messy at all.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I previously had a box of hay instead of the hayracks but the sides were too high for my old and fat pigs to jump over.. so I am stuck for ideas! So do you have any ways?
Cut a place out of one of the sides of the hay box low enough for the pigs to get over. I have a 1x2 coroplast hay box and I did that and it works pretty darn good. Hardly any hay gets out on the fleece and when it does, I pick it up and put it back in when I do my spotcleaning. For small sharp pieces that get stuck in the fleece, use a pair of tweezers to pull them out. I have had that happen as well.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I shake the fleece first outside and then wash it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.