Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Fleas?

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
As I was giving all my other animals here Frontline yesterday, I thought about my piggies. It is supposed to be a bad summer for insects here, hence the lack of snow etc. Hopefully having all the other pets covered, we will not have a problem.

What can be done to prevent fleas in guinea pigs? Can they get a drop of flea medication too?

I dont know but we give our dogs comfortis pills they work better than topical stuff and last a month.

bpatters is one of the best people on this site to ask to ask about meds. Send him/her and pm and ask if someone else doesn't answer.

Please post any answer you get from a PM here, I'm interested to know. Thanks

I don't think there's really any need to try to prevent them. They're not usually found on guinea pigs, and if all your other animals are on Frontline, the pigs should be fine. Frontline is definitely not recommended for guinea pigs, and has been documented as the cause of some rabbit deaths.

@kananaka, it's her...

@ bpatters I thought it was but did not want to presume ;)

I would not use frontline on a guinea pig, when my guinea had mites the only safe flea treatment we were allowed to use on a guinea pig was revolution cat/kitten (this is the same for rats & other small animals)
so if you want to be safe then a drop or two of revolution (not the whole tube!!) wont hurt but definitly dont use any other flea treatment :)

Yes, if you do have fleas on your pigs, then Revolution is good. However, don't just put a drop or two. Figure out the accurate dose from the information on www.guinealynx.info .

Sorry, i did mean by the drop or two the amount needed, should have clarified that better, so use to saying that i forgot that it doesnt come across very well when people that dont know how its ment.
I use to work out the dose needed for my guineas & rabbits myself when we needed to dose them. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.