Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flea medication

deborahjeanne

Cavy Slave
Someone told me to put a drop of "revolution" (I think that's what its called) or advantage on my gp to protect it from mites etc. As a nurse I have strong aversions to using medications for the "being" they were not intended for, so I'm just wondering if anyone else has any information about this.

deborah

Revolution will work for mites or lice. Advantage will only work on lice. See the medical and emergency forum at www.guinealynx.info/forums for more info on dosing.

Ly&Pigs said:
Revolution will work for mites or lice. Advantage will only work on lice. See the medical and emergency forum at www.guinealynx.info/forums for more info on dosing.

Do gp not get fleas then? I didn't know that advantage worked on anything else.

Oh well, too bad, I'm well stocked on advantage already. Guess I should get some revolution.

deborah
(Thankyou by the way)

Ivermectin also works quite well on mites and lice if applied topically.

They can get fleas, but it's rare.

Yes, revolution will sort it out

I was just reading up on Revolution and the type for dogs says it also helps clear up sarcoptic mange and the type for cats said it also kills hookworms and roundworms.
Well Guinea Pigs being neither, which type is recommended for the treatment of mites and such? I would think the cat variety would be a milder solution, yes?
And the better choice for the saftey of the guinea pigs? Just something I was curious about should I ever have to treat any of mine for such a problem.

If you just want to treat mites, use ivermectin. There is dosing info at www.guinealynx.info.

Thanks Chad, I didn't know that ivermectin would kill lice too.

Thanks. We don't have a problem, I was told to put some on once a year as a preventative.

Yes? No?

deborah

I would say no because from what I have heard it only lasts in the treatment to prevent lice and or mites for about a month, although I could be wrong. But, I would wait until you suspect or know your pigs have a problem then treat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.