Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flea Market Disaster :(

Gina Marie

Cavy Slave
On monday after work I decided to visit a local flea market (Trader's World) to scout out a deal on a new hubcap for my car. Now flea markets are NOT my favourite place to be in but I knew it would be the best deal around.

As I walked around the huge maze like structure, I came upon a booth that sold pet related products such as bird cages, small animal pens and discount dog/cag food. I've been searching for a larger cage for my dove and began to look around.

To my horror in the corner was a small rabbit hutch just filled with "Easter" bunnies. There must have been about a dozen rabbits in this hutch that was designed for just one or two rabbits. I cringed and looked inside only to discover that there was a guinea pig shoved in among the bunnies!

The poor piggy was being kicked and trampled on by these rabbits and was squealing out in pain. On top of that I could tell the the pig was in pain from walking on the wire floor that was rusted from the rabbit urine. I'm against paying money for pigs at a pet store but I had to do something.

I asked the person at the register about the pig and they said it was thirty dollars. After counting out my hubcap money I began to lecture the man about how he was mistreating both the pig and the rabbits. I was extremely upset and I was raising my voice. I couldn't believe what happened next...

HE TOLD ME TO TAKE THE PIG, GET OUT AND NOT TO RETURN TO HIS BOOTH AGAIN!

After taking the piggy home with me, tucked into my jacket since the jerk at the booth couldn't even give me a box, I discovered that my new piggy was a female and pregnant. Her feet are very red and swollen but I've placed her in my other piggy's, Ace, old home with lots of fleece as bedding and cushioning.

I've checked her out and she's pretty healthy save for her feet and a few scratches on her ears and she's extremely friendly and affectionate. I've placed her cage beside Ace's C&C home which will become her home soon. Ace is pretty excited about his new friend and I love her to death. :)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Poor thing. I'm glad you got her out of there. You should report him to someone.

Wait a minute though, you brought her home and placed her next to your existing pig right away? Aren't you worried that she may pass something onto your other pig? Especially considering where she came from?

Gina Marie

Cavy Slave
She's in her own cage but at night I put her cage near Ace's for a few minutes to let them talk. But she's been staying in a seperate bedroom upstairs.

I also have to mention that she's here at work with me now since I quickly made her a vet appointment and she goes in at 2:30. :) The same vet I took Ace to on monday.

Mr.Jiggles

Cavy Slave
stupid cruel people! Someone probly gave the pig away because it was pregnent. I would have punched the guy right in the middle of his face. I really would have. Someone who does something like that deserves no better!

Good luck with that! Im so glad you help her. I would have done the same.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
That is such a sad story. Good on you for speaking out for the bunnies and little piggy.

I am so glad you didn't give the stall holder a penny for her, and wonder if you would now get in touch with your local SPCA to alert them to the situation in which these rabbits are being housed.

I am also so pleased that you have rescued the wee girl - she sounds delighted that you have ended her misery. Unfortunately, as you have placed her beside your other piggy, she may pass on any infection/virus/other nasties (a 3 week quarentine is usually recommended before putting guineapigs in the same room). As she has sore feet, and you suspect she is pregnant, it would be wise to get her an appointment quickly with a vet. Hearing about the hideous conditions she was being kept in - you will want to make sure she is treated promptly for any ailments, and is otherwise is fit and healthy (and confirm her pregnancy!)

Kudos again! Let us know how you get on!

Edit - you got in there first (I type really slow!), great that you're taking her to the vet - keep us posted!

Mr Jiggles - punching the guy anywhere would not help the piggy - or the rabbits still in his 'care'!

Gina Marie

Cavy Slave
Now that you all mentioned it, I am going to aleart the Hamilton County SPCA about the situation. Nobody at the flea market really seemed to get a pig's butt about it.

I'm really concerned about her being pregnant since when I was at the vet monday, he mentioned something about a concern about the pelvis fusing on female's causing labor problems.

She's eating and drinking and her piggy poop looks normal. So I'm hoping that she'll get a clean bill of health from the vet.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
That is so sad to hear about the new little one. I'm glad you got her out of there. You are a good person. Good luck with the new pig and the new babies.

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Gina you are like a patron saint of piggies! I"m glad you were able to rescue that poor girl. Even if it means giving that JERK money. I hope she will be ok.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't let them near each other at all. It's breaking quarantine. Many diseases are airborne.

Guinea Lynx :: Quarantine

Mr.Jiggles

Cavy Slave
Punching him wouldn't help much, yes. But it would give that guy what he diserved.....the pig would have told me to do it!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Thank you for taking her out of there! My local flea market has the 'rabbit lady'. She's been selling them there for 30 years. Last time I was there, one was nearly bald becuase of a skin condition. A friend of mine bought a rabbit there, she said he wouldn't get any larger, he's 10 pounds heavier than when she bought him! I really wish there were stricter regulations with these type of people. Keep us updated on your little girl, best of luck with her pregnancy.

Gina Marie

Cavy Slave
Good news! Miss piggy and I just got back from the vet and she's looking pretty good. :) There is the concern about her pregnancy though. Since she's a adult, my vet told me to keep an eye on her while she's in labor and if there is any sign of trouble, to bring her in for emergency surgury.

He also gave me a small tube of topical cream for her feet since they are raw. So starting tonight I can slowly introduce her to Ace though the vet strongly suggests that I do not leave them together unattended until Ace is neutered as Ace might try to mount her and could injure her.

But he says it's fine if they interact for short periods of time since they will be living together... and here's a picture I took today before we went to the vet. I thought some carrots and parsley might calm her down and she loved the treat!

Piggy.jpg

Last edited:

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Oh she's so pretty! I'm glad she's healthy. Good luck with the babies!

Gina Marie

Cavy Slave
She is beautiful. ^^ Need to think of a name though. I keep wondering though where the other pigs where at the flea market. Obviously there were others if she's pregnant.

And I did call the SPCA earlier. I found out that that particular pet supply dealer has been in trouble before with providing unsanitary conditions for dogs and is not permitted to sell dogs or cats anymore at the flea market. The young lady I spoke with on the phone said that they would be looking into the condition of the rabbits.

Mr.Jiggles

Cavy Slave
Thats great to hear. You should go back him dead center in the face....then take his rabits lol no j.k. But thats good to hear she is healthy...good luck with the babys!

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
Poor little thing...i'm gald you rescued her!!!

JarBax

Cavy Slave

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Shes such a cutie. I'm glad shes in good health and that the SPCA is looking into the rabbits. I went to a feed store yesterday and saw rabbits in unhumane living conditions. They were only $6.00 each and are being sold as meat rabbits. Our humane society and SPCA has yet done nothing. The same people starved horses to death. My family was also apart of that fundraiser that made the SPCA tons of money but NONE of the 20 something horses lived to see another day.

Our SPCA deserves to be locked up for animal cruelty! No offense to good SPCA people. Them people deserve metals for their bravery and amazing jobs!

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Gina, I am so glad you were able to save that poor piggy. I feel bad for the rabbits now......poor things!! Our local SPCA isn't the best either. A few years ago when we were living in the city I witnessed a dog jump out the attic of a 3 floor house and hit the ground. The people that lived in that house kept their dog in the attic, that day it was 90F. I called the SPCA and they said they would have someone out there soon. It took them 2 hours to get there and they did nothing to help the dog. The dog had a broken jaw and both front legs were broken. The only thing the 2 men from the SPCA did was leave a note for the owners to take the dog to the vet for emergency care. The owners of the dog tied him up in the back yard to die a brutal dealth. The SPCA never followed up on the dog and no charges were placed on the owners. A week later the owners of that dog got another dog and was keeping it in the attic again. The police and the SPCA were no help. It just sickens me to how people can treat animals and other people.

manicmedic

Cavy Slave
Hope the little girl gets better and has no problems with the babies!

The SPCA here is rubbish, too...and the proof is that my neighbors continue to own dogs for 6 months, tops, and then they "disappear", and they live in horrible conditions while they are around. (The current one has his food/water dish in the backyard between the chicken coop and the fence (about 10 inches wide, and he's a pit bull), and it's full of leaves and chicken poop. The chickens are another story...I love animals but I wouldn't be sad to see those loud-mouthed, mean, filthy creatures gone forever. I've called the SPCA on almost every animal they've owned and absolutely NOTHING happens. At least yours got a visit.

At least they're better than the local CPS...but that's another story.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.