Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flea debris???

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Flea debris???

When I worked for a vet, a lot of dogs and cats that came in had flea debris in their fur. Well, while bathing my pigs today I noticed that one of them had similar debris. I was shocked because I make sure they're living environment is super clean, and I bathe them regularly to make sure they stay clean. I can't say for certain that it is flea debris, but it is possible. While moving between states, they've stayed at my parents in their garage. The garage is clean and air conditioned, but then again, it is a garage. I haven't noticed any excess scratching aside from their typical cleaning, and who knows, maybe it's just dirt because I did let them play in the yard. I always check my Lab (who only goes outside to potty), and he has no fleas, but he's also on Advantix. Any suggestions?

C

cavielover1964

Re: Fleas

Hi don't be shocked about your cavies getting fleas. They all do and nobody knows why. They probably got them that time you let them run outside. Guinea pigs cannot get dog fleas and visa versa. If you are really worried one drop of advantage behind their ear will do the trick. Hope this is of some help.;)

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Ah!!

I didn't know if Advantage was safe for piggies. I use Advantix on my dog, and I know its toxic to cats, so I didn't even think about using it on my pigs. They seemed to be better after the bath, which they didn't even fuss over...almost like they knew they needed one lol. I'll keep checking them, and if I find more stuff, I'll talk to my vet about a Advantage. Thanks!

E

Evansandpigs

Re: Ah!!

I think that my piggies have fleas too, but i don't no the signs for mites or lice. What can i use on my piggies?
I bathe them in this special shampoo for lice etc and i use powder on them too, this does however seem to stop the itching a bit:|

I need help QUICK!!!!

THANKS ALOT!!! ;)

Marlania

Cavy Slave
At least I wasn't alone!

I'm so glad my piggies are clean again. They won't be going back in the grass anytime soon. They enjoyed the hell out of it, but now that they were bugged once, I rather not subject them to it again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.