Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flanel top

onyx979

Cavy Slave
Hey all,

It's me again. I have been reading tons about fleece and the way it can block the pine smell. Even though i let my pine ventelate for about 1.5 to 2 weeks i still felt guilty, so what i've done instead is placed a HUGE flanel sheet over top of the shavings. here are some photos has to how i pinned it down. and the holding cage i have built to hold the piggies while i'm distracted with cleaning thier cage. Please tell me if its ok for the piggies or soem advice would be nice. Thanks

Onyx

It looks cosy but arne't you making double the work when it's cleaning time?
I don't think you really need to cover the shaving's.

If you have let your pine air out there should be no need for the cover.

The aromatic oil in pine shavings that are harmful are highly volatile. That means that they evaporate quickly. Airing the pine out so that the oils evaporate makes the shavings harmless.

OHHHHH i didn't know, i thought that even with airing them out they would still be somewhat bad for their health. Thats why i added the flanel sheet. Well i think i'm gonna leave it till there next big clean, next thursday and depending on the amount of work it takes to get all the shaving off the fleece will determain if i'm keeping it on or taking it off. Thanks for the confermation on the oils in the pine Voodoo:)

onyx

It must be quite lumpy for your piggies to walk on. Are you sure its not dangerous to their little feetsies. Might make them off balance, maybe sprain a leg, you never know. Just a thought.

To be honest i'm not sure....oh great here i am thinking i've done better by them and i could have jsut replaced one danger for another. Ok before i got completely spazzy could some verify this one way or the other. Please, i don't want to hurt them

onyx979 said:
To be honest i'm not sure....oh great here i am thinking i've done better by them and i could have jsut replaced one danger for another. Ok before i got completely spazzy could some verify this one way or the other. Please, i don't want to hurt them

Why dont you just take the cover off?

Because the girls seem to really like it. So if its not a hazzard then i'll leave it, if it is not i'll leave it.

How do you attach thumbnails?

You go to post reply, scroll down and then it should say 'manage attatchments' or something like that. If you're prepared to do the extra cleaning, then keep the fleece there

So there is no danger for thier little feet or legs? ie sprains ect? Because it is a bit lumpy. As far as cleaning goes, i'm going to get a hay rack probably tonight, because they are making a mess with the hay. But otherwise they seem to love the Flannel

The pattern on the fleece is cute

Thank you Very much. I took a bed sheet set that i had and figured no one is going to be using it because it is getting to hot for Flannel sheets.

The lumpyness shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget that GPs have 4 wheel drive. Deep shavings themselves (as is recommended if you use shavings) would also be lumpy.

Haha,, 4 wheel drive!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.