Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flaky/Dandruff

John4216

Cavy Slave
Well puffy has been through the treatments for many things to finally discover that her dandruff is just that. Dandruff. She has dry skin and very coarse hair. The vet thinks it is a genetic flaw so she has this condition and I need to bathe her to help moisturize her skin. Which leads me to my question of what is a really good moisturizing shampoo to use for the piggies?

laura220

Cavy Slave
Does it make her itchy?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Don't bathe her too much as that will dry out her skin. Check with the vet to find something that will work.

John4216

Cavy Slave
She doesn't appear itchy to me but the vet said it probably does feel itchy to her and to bathe her but she didnt say specifically what type of shampoo to use.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Instead of bathing her maybe try getting a little olive oil into her. Rub a little olive oil onto her favorite veggies and see if she'll eat it. Virgin or Extra Virgin Olive Oil would be best because it has less flavor.

This will help moisutize her skin and coat from the inside out. Only use the oil in moderation (every other day maybe), not too much at one time and watch her for signs of diarhea.

If she won't eat the veggies with the oil try puting a drop on each of her front paws. She should lick it off and swallow it.

John4216

Cavy Slave
Ok I will try that and thanks for the suggestion.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Humilac or Humulac spray (sp?) works for teddies and texels, who have dry skin due to breed sometimes. What breed is she? Too much bathing will only dry her out more.

John4216

Cavy Slave
She looks like an abbyisinian (if I spelled that right) with her golden puffy hair and all. I never bathe my piggies other than to use a wet washcloth on their undersides if they get to dirty or matted as I know it gets rid of the natural oils and such. I will try the olive oil and hope it works for her.

Matt & Guins

Cavy Slave
I would definately bathe your cavy. It *could* have the dry/dandruffy skin due to lack of bathing.

I have heard of new shampoo called "cresodex" which is designed for animals with dry / dandruffy skin. I know of some peolpe who use it with fantastic results.

Glycerine can also be used in conjunction to a shampoo and will help moisten the skin (just be sure to shampoo any remnants out thoroughly).

Matt

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.