Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay First time with local hay

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
We picked up a bale of timothy hay today from a local farm. It smells great. As I changed out the girls hay, they got very excited. They could definitely tell that something good was coming their way. They ran up the ramp and started testing it out. They have never gotten that excited over hay before. All that happiness and hay for $4 :cheerful:

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Isn't it amazing how much cheaper a bale of local hay is?

My grandfather is a retired farmer and he is doing some networking for my sister and me to get us a really good quality bale of hay. I am so excited! My parents didn't want us ordering from KM because they didn't want to store the hay, but my grandfather said that he'd store the local hay for us and we'd just have to come over whenever and get a box full or whatever. It's going to be so nice.

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
Yes it is amazing! This one was a tad more expensive at $4, which is hysterical. Some of them were $2 but further to drive. I just can't get over how awesome it smells! Seeing their excitement made my :love: smile! Hope yours are as happy!

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I love love love local hay! I'm glad your piggies are so happy with it!! :D

GPGuy

Cavy Slave
I love love love local hay! I'm glad your piggies are so happy with it!! :D

Me too. Mine really like the orchard hay and it is ridiculously cheap to buy local in bulk. I'm glad I live in an area that this is grown and sold everywhere, primarily for horses.:)

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
Yes readily available here too! My husband thought it was a little nuts, but he gets it now. The only issue I had this time is several of sellers I found on craigslist had bales that had alfalfa in it also.

Susan613

Cavy Slave
I'm going to try getting hay from a feed store. Anybody know of any good ones here in South Florida? My Guinea Pig makes me crazy over finding hay that he likes! I buy Oxbow and he will like one batch and then the next one he won't eat it. He just roots through it like he is looking for something good in it and throws it all over. Sometimes he will eat have of a batch that I buy him and then won't eat it anymore when it gets down to half a bag and I will be left with half a bag that is still good. I look like a crazy person in the pet store examing all the bags of hay looking for one he might like.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I'm going to try getting hay from a feed store. Anybody know of any good ones here in South Florida? My Guinea Pig makes me crazy over finding hay that he likes! I buy Oxbow and he will like one batch and then the next one he won't eat it. He just roots through it like he is looking for something good in it and throws it all over. Sometimes he will eat have of a batch that I buy him and then won't eat it anymore when it gets down to half a bag and I will be left with half a bag that is still good. I look like a crazy person in the pet store examing all the bags of hay looking for one he might like.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a piggie who doesn't think Oxbow is all that. I'm going to get some local hay today. Not a bale though, I have nowhere/way of storing it. I think putting hay down for him to play in would be nice (I hang the stuff he eats up because once he pees and poops on it he won't eat it anymore, obviously!) but I just hate that there are always stray hays somewhere on my kitchen floor.

Susan613

Cavy Slave
I bought a bale of Timothy Hay today. It's a lot so I'm going to use half and donate the other half to the SPCA for horses tomorrow. I also use some hay around the rose bushes and plants.

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
That's great Susan! Gotta say my girls have eaten quite a bit more of this hay than ever before. I am filling the hay rack every day now.
Oh and this new tissue box on the lower level...they went crazy for it tonight.

CSC_0793.JPG

Last edited:

Amy1981

Cavy Slave
How large was your bale if I may ask? I'm getting a 40 lb bale on Friday and totally forgot to ask the farmer what size (length/width/height) we were talking about. I have a feeling that it's going to be huge!

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Susan613, what part of FL do you live in? I live in FL and know a lot of feed stores and such that sell hay, I might be able to help you :)

Also, you guys get your hay bales for cheap! Right now, I'm using the Oxbow bagged and not my horse's hay because right now, the hay isn't as green as I would like it to be. But the cheapest timothy bale you can get is $11, and trust me, that is a STEAL for us! Average is about $17. It's not from a feed store, per say; I believe it has one or two less shipping routes than the feed stores. (The more places it ships, I believe the more expensive)

I know you're not supposed to give alfalfa for Guinea Pigs over six months, but my piggies aren't quite that age yet. They are about four to five months except for the newer one. Has anyone given their piggies light mix T/A? Do they like it? I'm interested in maybe giving my piggies some.

Also, for those who are worried about space, I know that there is some hay you can get compressed. It is the same amount, but half the size until you cut the strings off, which then you could just put in a container. We used to get it for my horse. Maybe it's available where you guys live?

2sCompany

Cavy Slave
We drive over one hour to get our hay, i purchased 10, 40 Pound bails of Timothy, and 10, 40 Pound bails of Timothy/Alfalfa mix for 20$.

As opposed to 20$ for ONE 5 pound bag at petsmart

Grr.

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
We paid $4 for a 40 lb bale of hay! A bargain and the girls :love: it!