Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming first time trimming nails

guineamommaof2

Cavy Slave
I have two male guines. We've had Fred a little over 2 weeks and George 2 weeks this Tuesday. I decided this morning I was going to trim their nails. Neither myself or my fiancee has done it yet. I've been working a lot of strange hours. I work retail.

He got George out for me. He perfers Daddy to Momma. I got one foot done then he tried biting me plus wouldn't sit still. He's the younger of the 2 at about 3 and a half months.

I got Fred out next. He's about 6 and a half months. I actually managed to get both his front feet done. He didn't persay try biting but he was nibbling a little bit and trying to take the clippers out of my hand.

Is there any easy way to clip their nails without really upsetting them or is it just do it and get it over with?

Fred I'm not that worried about it. He's Momma's boy so he actually wasn't that bad. George on the other hand seems to really dislike me. It needs to be done but I also don't want to hurt them. Any advice will be greatly appreicated. Yes, these are my first two guineas ever.
Thank you

I like to give mine a plate of veggies to keep their mouth busy while I clip away. None of them are big fans of nail clips, but they all tolerate it as long as they are being rewarded.

I use a cuticle clipper designated for the task, and wipe before and after with alcohol pads (make sure the clippers are dry before using them!!!!) I also spent the money and got styptic powder with Benzocaine-it stops the bleeding if you clip too close to the quick, and the Benzocaine relieves pain. Make sure your clipper is sharp, and that you aren't pulling on the nail or twisting when you do it. My Daisy squeals like I'm cuting her toes off-makes me so nervous I'm sweating when I'm done. I keep telling her we don't have nooky toes in this house. It's funny, I can do bunnies, dogs, other peoples dogs, cats, etc. no problem.

One person to hold the pig and the carrot to its mouth, another person to trim the nails. I wouldn't dare try trimming my pigs' nails unless someone was feeding them something at the same time.

Their favourite veggies help, but it is unfortunately just one of the things we have to do even if they hate it. I have had many animals, cats/dogs/horses/and now pigs, over the years, and only one cat let me cut his nails without a struggle. The rest of them all complained or put up a fight. I personally don't think they can be trained or desensitized to nail clipping. Some animals just don't like it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.