Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First Pigs

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
I wasnt sure if i was alowed to post this but, im fairly new so dont go too hard on me.

I was wondering how everyone aqured their first pig. Mine is actually a very interesting story. It inolves a car crash, lot of mites, Petco(I know, I know), adoption, and ignorance.It also involves a guinea pig, of course!

If this is an ok topic to post about please let me know.Im still working through the do's and donts of this forum.

Thanks,
Tash

Sam0214

Cavy Slave
Well I got my first GP when my parents to me to a K-mart...( I was at 14 years old)

They had a stand with a VERY VERY small wire cage. I looked inside and there was this baby GP and the other GP's were beating it up..chewing on its ears...(didnt end up having much ears left!) Her ears where bleeding and I told my parents to look at them... then I asked dad can I take her home and save her. They let me and she lived with me for 4 good years...then now that I am 24 years old I wanted another one...so I went to Pet Land...and bought one...got a bonus with her...lol..she was Pregnant and I didnt know it ...so now I have 1 sow and 3 babies..lol..but I love them all!!!

I think that this is a great post... :)

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
My Story

Since it seems ok i will tell you my story.

It all started about two weeks before Easter three years ago. I went to Petco regularly to dream about everything I would prchase if i had unlimmited funds. They had a few guinea pigs in cages on a table in the middle of the store. I had seen gps before but they had never caught my eye before.There were three. Two were in seperate aquariums. And one was in a wire cage. I was imediatly drawn to the one in the wire cage. He seemed the nicest because he didnt immediatly run into his pigloo when i touched him. I was vey ignorant of pig behavior then.

Even though he only had patches of long hair scattered across his body i was determined to have him. I went home that day and begged and begged my mother to let me have him. I even drew her floor plans of my room with the cage in it, because one of her arguments was were wold i put the cage.

Eventually she said yes. So on Easterr day we went to pick him up. I had already told the employees to hold him for me. on the exit ramp right next to petco my moms car brakes went out. we stopped after slamming into the back of a mini van. Luckily no one(including the dogs who had come along for the ride)was injured. My mom sent me to petco, she thought it was just for me to make a phone call. I thought it was to make a phone call and complete my mission. I was going to get my pig no matter what. She was so mad at me. Luckily i had the sense to ask the store to hold him for me for a few more days.

So we brought him home three days later. It turns out that he was an intact male who was completly infested with mites and had a horrible case of bumble foot. He was also alredy getting on in years. I named him Salem. After the mites were fixed with some shots and is hair grew back i found out that he is a beautiful shelti. I still have him though I dont know for how much longer. He has had reocurring bumblefoot, a small mass ful of skin pigment cells, many broken teeth and to top that he just got nuetered last week. I was right about him though. He is the best pig that i have ever had or even seen. He is the sweetest pig in the world. He is just content to sit on your lap and snuggle. I dont know his exact age although my vet said he was around six when i got him. That would make him around nine years old today. He shows no sign of letting go yet.

I just wanted to share him with all of you.

Thanks for reading Salem's story,
Tash

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Sorry is so long Teresa.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
hmmm

That was an interesting story. Sounds like something I would do...finding a way to get a pet no matter what :)

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and Sam, when did Kmart sell animals? I don't remember that, of course we had a nasty Kmart so I'm sure the animals they had running around there weren't for sale ;) I do remember Walmart selling hamsters and such when I was a kid.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
These are great stories.Does anyone have another? It doesnt have to be about your first pig.

Merrill

Cavy Slave
Well my first pig was an unfortunate because we got her at a pet store, not that I didn't want her, the pet store part is unfortunate, anyway :p So that was simple, I made the same pet store mistake with my 2nd & 3rd pigs because I was dumb back then although I tried to care for them as best as possible, and then my second one died. So I got my third one who is living in a cage next to my first one (Petsmart didn't bother to tell me my third was a boy, luckily not resulting in babies) and yesterday I adopted my fourth and last in this household and she is 1 month & 6 days old today and is the most adorable thing ever! My mom drove me out about 30 minutes away from our house but was 50 because of traffic to the greatest pet store on earth because it has all the right products except liquid vitamins and doesn't sell pets. And so I met the person I was adopting her from's friend there and took her home with me after buying her a food bowl, water bottle, toy, and some more bedding :D

GuinLover

Cavy Slave
Love at First Sight

tashagurl said:
Since it seems ok i will tell you my story.

Wow! Your pig is old if you think he could be almost nine!

I wanted a guinea pig for about a month after I met my friend's new GPs. The first store I stopped off at was Petco in Northridge, CA. Then I saw her. She was all red/tan color with big brown eyes. For two weeks I saved up money to buy her as I just moved out to Cali and didn't have a job yet.

My birthday came along and I exchanged a watch my stepfather bought me for cash, then I went to get her. I was surprised to see she was still there because all the other guinea pigs were gone, only she was left and to me she was the cutest pig I'd ever seen! I had been looking for other ones for the two weeks I was saving.

So I brought her home and named her Schatzi. I thought she was a runt because she was so small for so long. About 2 months later I went back and picked up her husband, Dieter (A tri-colored boy). A couple of months later they had a boy and girl. Were they ever adorable. A few months later, my Schatzi was a balloon again, six popped out. I gave away the babies, all but one. The one and only crazy haired, Yoshi.

So from two baby GPs, I got a total of 10 in a 7 month time span!

Dieter died a few months ago at the age of 2 years and 10 months. I still have my two princesses as healthy and more lovable than ever so far!

PS, you are lucky you took care of the mite thing. I just recently had to rid my pigs of guinea pig lice (which is a species infestation btw) and it cost me around $300.00! GPs are inexpensive to purchase in the store, but VERY expensive in doc bills!

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
My Story

Well, I was looking up guinea pigs one day on google and stumbled on this site. After learning that pet stores didn't insure a completely healthy pet, I went to cavy classifieds ( (broken link removed)). That's when I found out about a woman that lived just 5 minutes away from me who was giving away guinea pigs for free ^o^! What surprised me when I visited the cavies were how many she had! She had 14 babies running around her apartment in complete floor time mode! All she did was put some bedding in the corners for the cavies to do their business on and a huge bucket of timothy hay in the middle of the room, with some bottles of water stapled to the wall! She told me the adults were in their seperate room, and there were three of them; 2 females and a freshly neutered male. I asked her if this was the last she would be getting, and then she told me that her 2 female adults were pregnant again, and she had to get the male neutered after this folly happened! You'd think after the first 14, she would've known about this. She also told me that the 14 babies were all females, and she lives in a seperate apartment. She rents one out for her guinea pigs, and another all for herself.

What's kinda funny, is instead of people calling her the weird cat lady that's synomous with apartments, she's known as the " Guinea Pig Freak ". Can you blame her though? We're all a little guinea pig crazy :>

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
That is a LOT of pigs. She must be extremly dedicated to he piggys. Hey, Teresa, how did you get your first pig? or your most memorable one?

PiggyMom

Cavy Slave
I got my very first piggy, Jack, from a local shelter in either October/November of last year. I was looking at the small animals they had for adoption on the shelters website, and saw a really cute adult male guinea pig named Skunk. When my mom and I went to get Skunk, we found out he had mites and we would have to wait a few days to adopt him. Sooo, there was cute little Jack Sprat (Jack for short) in the cage next to him. He was a healthy little guy who had been there for several months and really needed a home. They said he had been dropped off in a box on their doorstep with two other piggys. So I chose him! He was very shy at first (it took him a long time to gain his trust, so I suspect he was probably abused). Now, he is the sweetest and most good natured piggy! He loves nothing more than to snuggle with you. I really love him. I had no idea how SWEET piggies were. Then, on Monday of this week my mom and I went to Petquarters to get some more treats for my doggie, and low and behold they had a whole pen of tiny baby piggys! That's when I bought Rose, my second piggie. The woman at the pet store said she had only been there a week and guessed she was about 4 weeks old. My mom had noticed her right off. She was teeny tiny (we guessed the runt), and a skinny little thing. But she was otherwise in great health. I spent all the money I had on her, her new cage, and all her supplies! :) She was worth every penny! I love both my piggys ALOT! They're such great little critters, and bring me lots of joy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.