Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First pig

supertramp

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I have been planning to get a guinea pig for a long time, and got coroplast and wood aswell as wood glue to build the cage with (cubes are basically impossible to buy where I live) but I am having a guinea pig sprung upon me. I work on a farm, and there had been this 2-year old female guinea pig taken to the vet by her owner to be put to sleep; the vet did not want to put a healthy piggy down so they rang up the farm and asked if they would take her. The farm already has too many guinea pigs and did NOT want her, but took her anyway rather than have her put down - and to put a long story short - she is mine and I'm collecting her tomorrow morning. I've borrowed a rat cage from somebody and spent hours cleaning the manky thing up, and created the coroplast base for the C&C cage that I'm going to make, as obviously I want her out of that rat cage A.S.A.P. It's going to be at least a week until I have the C&C cage made (school/work etc. taking up a lot of my time) so she's going to have to stay in that rat cage for a while - please can anybody give me some advice on how to make it most comfortable for her to put her at ease until the cage is complete? A lot of floor time, handling etc. or to be left alone?

Ps. sorry for the really long post - but I'm pretty excited as you can imagine ;)

yataebo

Cavy Slave
New Piggie

Glad to see you opened up your heart and home to this guinea pig!

Talk gently to him and assure him that your not going to hurt him, give him lots of hay to nibble on they love hay. I use the Timothy Hay from Petsmart.
It takes a long time to build trust with these little guys, so don't expect it to happen in a day. Once you put him in his new cage you will see a happier guinea pig. Make sure you give him lots of floor time to exercise while you are building the cage!
Good luck
Feel free to email me with any questions.
[email protected]

supertramp

Cavy Slave
thanks

Thank you for your advice - I'll make sure to take it. She is already less skittish than at first after only an hour or two so that must be a good sign. She is very sweet and there should be a picture of her for my avatar if i did it right ;)

supertramp

Cavy Slave
help

Is it very common for guinea pigs to have lumps on their underbellies? There is one on either side although not exactly symetrical and one is oddly shaped. I don't know anything much about guinea pig anatomy, can someone PLEASE give me some suggestions. The lumps, as far as i can tell, are attached only under the skin and not to her insides. Is it normal? Is it cancer?

Treen

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can get many different types of lumps - sebaceous cysts, abcesses, fatty lumps, tumours etc which require different courses of action (or in some cases none, if it's just a harmless lump that doesn't bother them). The only way to find out what they are, and therefore if it's safe to leave them, is to visit a good cavy vet and have them investigated. I have a couple of 'lumpy pigs' and have had the lumps investigated - the vet does a simple procedure called a 'fine needle aspirate' which harvests a few cells from the lump and tells him what's in it and therefore what (if anything) needs doing.

Visit Guinea Lynx https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/ if you need any advice on what to ask your vet, or about any advice he/ she gives you.

Are you planning on getting your guinea pig a friend when you've built your new cage? https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Good luck with the cage, and congrats on your new piggy!

supertramp

Cavy Slave
lumps

Ok, thanks for your advice, I reckon I'll take her for a once over anyway just to check for general health and ask about these lumps.. hopefully nothing serious. Yes I am planning to get her a friend but at a slightly less hectic time (as in, not a month away from my exams) although - she's looking rather wide.. so perhaps I'll just wait a couple of months and see if I've been had or not, and whether I end up with another one anyway ;)

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
If your pig is female, is it possible that she is pregnant? That could also explain the oddly shaped lumps on either side.

Also, my pigs were in a starter cage for about a month while I built their C&C cage for them. I bought a pet playpen at wal-mart for about $10 and used it a lot so they could run a little more freely and still be safe. I'm not sure where you are from, but cubes were hard for me to find at first, too. I actually found them at the Walgreen's pharmacy of all places! Just some hints for you.

I hope your piggy turns out to be healthy and happy.
Good luck,
Marie

supertramp

Cavy Slave
Possible

I have pretty much no background on her at all, although I'm guessing she was getting picked on because she is very timid, and had quite a big scab from a previous cut on her back (which is gone now). All i know about her is that she was taken to be put to sleep and the vet did not want to, and gave her to a farm which could not really take her. I'm really hoping that as the vet refused to have her put down, there shouldn't be anything wrong with her (like cancer or anything serious) but there is a possibility of pregnancy. She weighs 1 pound and 15 ounces, if anyone would know whether than was overweight enough to be pregnant? Upon further inspection, I've found that she actually has many small lumps on her underbelly (too many to be removed, if she wants any skin left), but otherwise looking pretty fine, other than being timid and perhaps not eating really very much, which I would expect her to be if she were greedy enough to be overweight. Any advice about pretty much anything would be good right now,
thanks, Steph.

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
From all the things I have read, full grown pigs average 1.5 pounds. So maybe since there are several bumps/lumps you should ask the finding vet if he tested for pregnancy before sending her to the farm where you adopted from. That would be my first suggestion.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully it's nothing to serious.
Marie

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
As far as weights go my Cujo is almost a year old and weighs 3.47 lbs. My last piggie had a lump that grew to be the size of a lemon and since I was inexperienced and he was my first pig I waited too long to go to the vet he eventually had to be put to sleep and it devastated me. I felt and still feel so guilty because I don't know if he could've been helped had I brought him in sooner. He was 6 years old, but he probably would have lived longer and at least been more comfortable if I had him treated sooner. i would have it looked at asap just to make sure everything is okay. Sorry for going on and on, it was just my experience and if I could do it over I'd have taken Puzzle in much sooner.
Good Luck - keep us posted.

supertramp

Cavy Slave
clean bill of health

Well I had work today (and I certainly didn't have to dress up in a bunny costume and dance around, no sir) and inquired about the vet who treated my new pig, and she has been given a CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH. The vet checked and treated her for everything under the sun before handing her over to the farm, and even the cut on her back is totally healed now. Basically there is nothing wrong with her at all, and the single only reason she was taken to be put down was that the kids to whom she belonged did not care about her anymore and the parents couldn't be bothered to look after her, poor piggy. Well I'll give her a great home - and she is already looking happier since I finished building her a new cage, plus I'm going to be getting her a friend right after my exams, so that's something :D

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!!!

I'm glad your piggy is healthy and happy!

Best of luck on your exams,
Marie

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I am so happy and relieved that your piggie is okay! That is great news and I am sure that you are happy as well. Have a great wheekend!

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
i am so glad it allworked out for you and your new gp. whats her name?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.