Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C First C&C, so excited!!!

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I finally got the bits ordered to make my c&c cage. It'll be an enormous one that I'll seperate into two at first to let my four pigs get to know each other better without the added risk of a ruckus. They've started playing together in floor time but I don't want to lump them all together just yet. I'm also considering adding some kitchens to the cage, as the girls make a mondo mess with their hay. They like nothing better than to toss it around. Anyone out there have any advice on how to make these little areas so they reduce mess but will still be easily accessible?

The next step will be to look for some pretty fleece. I am so so excited, my girls will have so much more room to play ^^ And it'll give them 16 sq ft to play in for less than a 10 foot cage that was reccomended to me would cost... *Happy mummy*

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Sounds great! You are going to have some happy Piggies!

What will the 2 partitions be sized at?

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
2x4, plus a kitchen each side. Once they're merged I'll reshape the cage so it runs 3x7, which'll give them a bit more room to roam, but while it'll be in two halves 2x8 was the only way I could make sure it'd be big enough

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Cant wait to see pics.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
*is eyeing up some fleece with cupcakes on it*

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Aw, darn it! If only they delivered to the uk :(

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I have a 3 ft by 6 ft cage, and for the kitchen I cut coroplast to size, and just put it at the one end. It's about 3ft wide by 1 ft deep, and the "doorway" has a 1 1/2 inch lip they step over. Some of the carefresh get dragged onto the fleece, but I just sweep the little pieces up with the poops when I clean. The doorway is off to one side, and the hay is off to the oposite side.

TigerzGirl

Cavy Slave
I had a 3 x 7 grid cage (shrunk to 3 x 6 so I could move it for a change of pace :p) for my five girls, and they love it! I couldn't think of having them in anything smaller. It's also nice because if you have it on the floor and it's clean/you're not skittish you can sit in there with them. Quite fun :3

Good luck, and enjoy your cage!

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Everything's heeeeere! *squeak* I popped the grids together last night when I got in from work at 11pm, I was too excited to wait until today XD The rest will be done tonight and we'll move the girls into their new palace! As an experiment I popped their current cages into the grids to see how they compared space wise. They're getting more than double what they currently have. And the cage is pretty much in the middle of the living room but it's backed onto an alcove with loads of wasted space there, so we're going to make the kitchen an add on there with some leftover grids. That way it won't eat into their lap running space teehee

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Well, it's done! I stayed up far later than I should have to build it as I have work tomorrow, but I couldn't wait another minute and it's done!

Piggles

It may not be the flashiest, wow factor cage but they are already loving it and I feel we're providing them a much better enviroment. They were popcorning like crazy right up until the second I got the camera out and then they all went into hidng just to make me look silly XD

Lawcatt509

Cavy Slave
You did a great Job I personally love it and how you did a little part to the side.Gave me an idea as finally my 2 Skinnies are not to happy together so I am rebuilding they like company but not in there space...lol .. once I rebuild sometime this weekend I will post some picks..YAY ..

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I finally got the bits ordered to make my c&c cage. It'll be an enormous one that I'll seperate into two at first to let my four pigs get to know each other better without the added risk of a ruckus. They've started playing together in floor time but I don't want to lump them all together just yet. I'm also considering adding some kitchens to the cage, as the girls make a mondo mess with their hay. They like nothing better than to toss it around. Anyone out there have any advice on how to make these little areas so they reduce mess but will still be easily accessible?

The next step will be to look for some pretty fleece. I am so so excited, my girls will have so much more room to play ^^ And it'll give them 16 sq ft to play in for less than a 10 foot cage that was reccomended to me would cost... *Happy mummy*

As far as kitchens go, I use aluminum roasting pans that are disposable (you could easily use metal ones too, both can be found at the dollar store, I just like the flexibility of the aluminum so I can bend down a side for them to get into) I've also heard of people using a kitty litter box with a side cut down for easy access. A hay rack/bag might help too, if they're willing to use it...

On the note of you letting your pigs play during floor time and then separating them, that's hard on them because they assert their dominance every time they're put together with a "new" pig - even if they spent time together for floor time yesterday they'll have to do the whole thing over today, and tomorrow, until they're living together. Correct me if I'm wrong: I don't think the divider would be a huge issue, just make sure they can't fit through the holes, you might "baby proof" the grids so they don't get stuck trying to get through to the other side.

BTW Congrats on the huge cage!!

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Yup, someone else told me about the playdate problem the other day so I stopped doing it and as it was a brand new enviroment, I put them all straight in together, just to suck it and see. So far not a single scrap, just the occasional little rumble noise. But mostly they're enjoying playing together, having races back and forth in the cage, and even eating together from the same bowls. I think they're going to be very happy living together if it keeps up like this, but I am keeping a careful eye on them ofc :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.