Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Finishing Touches

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
We're finshing up on our cage, but I have a couple of questions before it's completed.

Is two inches really enough? Someone recommended 2" sides when you're using fleece. Now that the coro has been put together, that seems awfully short. :?:

Do you need to wash the UHaul Pad before you use it? I know you need to wash the fleece, but am unsure about the UHaul.

Level 2 and storage. My ultimate goal is to build a 3x5 (that part's done) with 2x5 loft (needs parts and then built). We're trying to figure out how you support such a large second loft. I was thinking of using grids (not sure how to explain further without confusing).

Also trying to figure out storage opportunities. Was going to build a stand out of grids, but by my count, it'd cost a lot of grids to make sturdy- 15 for the bottom of the first floor + 15 for the very bottom + 15 or so to stand between those two levels. You could make a whole other cage with that many grids! Help?

Pictures a big bonus for both your stand and/or your large second level. Thanks for helping make my dreams a reality with your input!

If I think of any more questions, I'll post them. Otherwise, our girls may be in their new 3x5 by the end of the day! :D

The forum is really hopping this morning! Want to make sure this gets seen, though, so

BUMP

I can't answer all your questions but will help with a few. The U-haul pads shrink quite a bit so you should wash before cutting to size. Be prepared to have lots of little u-haul fuzz balls everywhere. 2 inch coroplast sides is probably enough. Mine are about 3 but I don't think an inch less would be a problem unless there's loose bedding anywhere.

Are you wanting to build a grid stand just for storage or to get the cage up off the floor?

I know I can answer two of your questions. lol First 2 inch sides are enough. Some people don't even use coroplast with fleece bedding. Me being one of them, I only have towels, fleece, then floor. They don't really kick out stuff as much as rats or some other small animals, so the only worry is it going through to the floor, but I clean the cage often, plus the pigs have sorta potty train themselves to only go in the bedding sections I have in the cage. Also for your second level question. The best way to make it strong and sturdy that I have found is tons of zip ties. You can also use grids under the second level to keep it up. I did this once when I had storage shelves above the cage, but with the girds there, it gives them less room to run around, so since I don't really use them, they are gone now. Here is a picture of my cage, so you can see what I mean by the grids holding up the second level. [GuineaPigCages.com] Finishing Touches[GuineaPigCages.com] Finishing Touches

Yes and yes. It'd be nice to be able to get the piggies off the ground, but more then that, the Critter Cave (their room) just isn't that big. If I need to, I'll find other areas to store things in, but I was hoping to keep every thing in one place. I was trying to stay away from permanent stands (I love flexibility!), but I might not be able to avoid it. :?:

I know I can answer two of your questions. lol First 2 inch sides are enough. Some people don't even use coroplast with fleece bedding. Me being one of them, I only have towels, fleece, then floor. They don't really kick out stuff as much as rats or some other small animals, so the only worry is it going through to the floor, but I clean the cage often, plus the pigs have sorta potty train themselves to only go in the bedding sections I have in the cage. Also for your second level question. The best way to make it strong and sturdy that I have found is tons of zip ties. You can also use grids under the second level to keep it up. I did this once when I had storage shelves above the cage, but with the girds there, it gives them less room to run around, so since I don't really use them, they are gone now. Here is a picture of my cage, so you can see what I mean by the grids holding up the second level.View attachment 27343View attachment 27342

Do you put any kind of waterproof barrier between your floor and the bedding? If not, and the urine seeps to the floor, it can really mess it up. If it's wood - it might seep into it, if it's tile - it can seep between the spaces and seep into the sub floor, if it's linoleum - it could discolor it or degrade it. I'd add a shower curtain under it as a precaution.

You might get more escaping poop with 2" sides, but not even 6" sides like I have completely keeps them in. They play golf or something with their poo. Getting a table(s) to fit a 3 grid wide cage would probably be pricier than buying more grid packs. Tables are also a pain to move around.

I added a 1.5x1.5 I-beam to support my second level and have grids under both levels so it's secure. Some people were able to buy 1.5s that fit into the grid holes on both sides to hold it up but mine was slightly too large so I had to secure it to the sides with brackets.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Finishing Touches

Do you put any kind of waterproof barrier between your floor and the bedding? If not, and the urine seeps to the floor, it can really mess it up. If it's wood - it might seep into it, if it's tile - it can seep between the spaces and seep into the sub floor, if it's linoleum - it could discolor it or degrade it. I'd add a shower curtain under it as a precaution.

It's carpet, I might do that sometime, however it's not really needed for my cage. I have two layers of towel under the fleece, and they very rarely actually go to the bathroom on the fleece, and at the end of the week when I clean out the cage, the towels are always clean. They have sorta potty trained themselves to only go in three parts of the cage. The 2x3 bedding part with coroplast under it. The 1x2 litter pan, or the loft. So there is really no risk of it going through to the carpet, and in my year of having them, I have never noticed any marks or damage on it. Though I will take your advice and add a shower curtain just in case. :D

:D @MissJean

And thank you @MissJean and @pinky I think hubby has an idea of how he can help me with my cage now. I don't completely comprehend it, but that's ok. I have poor comprehension skills any way. :D What matters is that hubby gets it. So thanks. :)

@PigPandemonium I thought she was missing a flooring type! If your piggies did manage to get through someday, someway though, it'd be harder to clean up carpeting then the floorings @pinky mentioned. I can understand not being worried when they've already proved themselves, but what about as they get older and it's harder to make it to the potty box on time? Just a thought, but thanks for sharing! :)

@spy9doc I have no idea what to expect out of senior piggies. I was inventing an in case of scenario in reference to a cage directly on top of carpet. We have hardwood and already have coroplast. We (hubby and I) have our first two now and they're fosters. Plus, our girls will go wherever they want. Haven't done much for potty box training, although that's what their hay is sitting in for the moment. I was talking to the member who has potty trained her girls- or, more accurately, whose girls have potty trained themselves. :D

Thanks for the pics. Much more appealing to the eye then @pinky 's photo. (No offense meant, pinky!)

@CritterLuvva Pigs go to the bathroom most where they eat and sleep. I designed my cage around that fact, and knowing a lot about my pigs personalitys and their favorite places to sleep, I made it so they eat and sleep (Therefore go to the bathroom) in the bedding sections. The rest of the cage (About 30 square feet) is just for play and fun. I almost never see mess there, so if I wanted, I could just have carpet and fleece and it would be safe. lol However I have two extra layers of very absorbent towels underneath if one of the pigs does decide to go on the fleece. I defiantly would recommend coroplast for others, I was only trying to make a point that even without coroplast, my pigs don't kick out anything so 2 inch sides should be fine. I really should take a picture some time of how clean the fleece looks right before I clean it. lol

You can also use grids to support the joints of the grids. I have a very large cage as well and to build the floor and lid I just put another grid over the the joints in the middle where they were not being supported by the sides. Does that make sense? I will take a picture and post it.

@spy9doc I have no idea what to expect out of senior piggies. I was inventing an in case of scenario in reference to a cage directly on top of carpet. We have hardwood and already have coroplast. We (hubby and I) have our first two now and they're fosters. Plus, our girls will go wherever they want. Haven't done much for potty box training, although that's what their hay is sitting in for the moment. I was talking to the member who has potty trained her girls- or, more accurately, whose girls have potty trained themselves. :D

Thanks for the pics. Much more appealing to the eye then @pinky 's photo. (No offense meant, pinky!)

No offense taken. The underside of upper level isn't visible unless you sit on the floor. It works, though. I had a bit of a challenge because I have a heater duct I didn't want to cover and limited space in my dining room. I had to make a 2x5 over a 2x4 to make it work. The bottom level has two small pieces of coroplast on the sides to protect the walls. The guinea pigs down there like to fling things and I have white walls so I wanted to avoid a mess.

Here are the pictures. Its a little hard to see but I have another grid supporting where are 4 corners meet. That way your floor is supported and it blends right in and doesn't take up any space. My cage is 4 levels and is 100% supported this way and is very strong.

Pinky.....just to piggyback on your post.....the lumber is called a 2x2 but it's finished size is closer to 1.5x1.5 and it usually fits perfectly into a grid opening.

Critter Luvva.....do you think that your piggies are going to become incontinent as they get older? I had a good laugh over that one. :p

Take a look at these two searches I did for you. Lots and lots of multi-story cage ideas and stands made from grids and other materials:

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

It really is far less expensive to buy more grids than even to buy a large piece of plywood to make a tabletop. Below are some pics that I collected when planning my cage:

I went to three lumber stores here and bought 2x 2's and all of them were too big. I finally asked and they told me that when they're cut fresh they're larger since there's still a lot of moisture in the wood and they shrink down to a smaller size which is more of a 1.5x1.5.

I have 6" sides.. And 10" in the back.. My girls a little though.. [GuineaPigCages.com] Finishing Touches good luck! :)

That's absolutely true.......sorry I neglected to mention it. I guess we don't get much freshly cut wood in our local HD. The two pieces that I have bought fit perfectly into the grid openings.

I was so frustrated. I had a short piece that someone gave me as a sample. I took the piece with me. I went to Menards and two nearby Home Depots. I live in a large suburban area that still has quite a bit construction going on so I think that's why the wood is fresh cut around here.

PeeWeeSteph......That's a beautiful cage! How long does it take you to clean the entire cage with that configuration? It appears that one would have to be tall in order to reach the back, or else step into the cage.

I notice the extended grids on the other end. Are you planning on adding a second loft?

Thank you first of all! Second .. Takes me about 10 minutes to sweep it out.. I do it twice a day! As far as cleaning and switching everything.. About 40 -50 minutes. I do that every 5-7 days. I change my mats out every few days. I may add a second loft.. I have the grids there because the cage sits next to a side table and I have little shihtzus that would love to hop right in and play with the piggies... Lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.