Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Finding hay from local farms?

Sierra

Cavy Slave
How would I go about finding timothy hay from local farms? I have checked in the newspaper, but they don't have anything for hay.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Call feed stores, stables, vets who treat livestock....

I started calling feed stores today. I asked if they carried grass hay and if they said no, I asked if they knew anyone who did. My second call got me the name and number of a local farmer. He sells bales of orchard grass hay for $2.75. That is a heck of a lot better than the +$40 I was paying to have less than a bale of timothy shipped here. Timothy is not grown in my area at all.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
Ah, I see. Does Orchard Grass have the same benefits of Timothy? Are there any that do? (Just in case I can't find Timothy).

How would I find a feed store?

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
Look in the phone book under Feed & Supply stores.

Orchard grass is fine!

Only thing you may run into is finding a quantity that you are able to use before it goes bad. When you call, ask if you can buy by the flake instead of the bale. I get 60-80 pound bales of a grass hay mix for $5.00 - but with over 50 pigs it doesn't last long. ;-D

Sierra

Cavy Slave
Man, these bales sound pretty big, how big would a bale be?

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
I don't have a whole bale on hand now to measure, but I'd say about 4' long, 2' wide, 2' deep.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
I can't find local farm of feed store in Malaysia. There is no "feed store" in phone directory. I manage to find 1 place which is for horse ridding. They got meadow hay only but not for sale. And I can't find farm in town area.

ice_on_fire

Cavy Slave
just one question guys.. what exactly is pasture hay..? cuz that's the only type of hay that i feed to my piggies..

Sierra

Cavy Slave
I would say it is some kind of grass hay mix.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Erin8607 said:
Look in the phone book under Feed & Supply stores.

Orchard grass is fine!

Only thing you may run into is finding a quantity that you are able to use before it goes bad. When you call, ask if you can buy by the flake instead of the bale. I get 60-80 pound bales of a grass hay mix for $5.00 - but with over 50 pigs it doesn't last long. ;-D
I bought a bale of second cut Timothy Hay from a vet in Wellington for $2.50 and it was brown and looked more like straw than hay. Were do you get yours?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
how about field hay? is this ok? just curious, i have other hay, but i wanted to know. this is what is fed to sheep and llamas, and is it ok for guinea pigs?

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
Denise - I buy from the Randolph Feed & Supply. It's right off 224 on 44, you make a right and it's about 3 buildings down on the right side of the road. The hay has been fabulous there all summer. It does go down in quality a bit for winter, so I try to stock up. I bought three bales on Saturday, that will last me a whole few weeks. LOL

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
just wondering if u buy a bale from a farmer dont they have mites in it or something also is straw good for guinea pigs or not

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
It's not known really where mites come from. I feed my pigs local farm hay, have not had a problem with it thus far, but I do treat my pigs every once in awhile for mites since I have rescue pigs coming in and out that may have them.

As for straw, no, it's not something that you want to give to guinea pigs. Some people use it as bedding, but it's rough and can easily cause eye injury. It's also not absorbant as a bedding material, it's pretty useless for guinea pigs. In my opinion.

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
weird cos alot of people tell me that mites come from untreated hay then some people tell me it comes from outside, very confusing is it alot of money to get them treated??

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
Loveheart said:
weird cos alot of people tell me that mites come from untreated hay then some people tell me it comes from outside, very confusing is it alot of money to get them treated??
As a general rule mites to not come from hay or bedding. But certain mites, called Walking Dadrift can be spread by bedding and hay. And can also be spread to cats and dogs too. But the only way that can happen is if the hay was exposed to a sick guinea pig or animal that had Walking Dandrift(within three weeks though, after three weeks without a host the mites will die). Which I highly doubt will happen. Otherwise the only way for your guinea pig to get mites is from a carrier (a sick guinea pig with mites) of mites. And only by direct contact. That is why before introducing a new guinea pig you are supposed to quarentine it because it may carry deseases. So I am sure it is fine to get a bale of hay. No it is not confusing to get them (mites) treated you can actually do it your self, and if you do it your self it is alot cheaper too. I won't get into how to treat mites yourself seeing as this a Hay thread.

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
mites come from untreated hay

You should avoid feeding your pigs anything that is chemically treated!

Check out the guinealynx.info forums, there is a ton of information on mites and treatment there. You can get them treated at a vet, or it's easily done at home.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Erin8607 said:
Denise - I buy from the Randolph Feed & Supply. It's right off 224 on 44, you make a right and it's about 3 buildings down on the right side of the road. The hay has been fabulous there all summer. It does go down in quality a bit for winter, so I try to stock up. I bought three bales on Saturday, that will last me a whole few weeks. LOL
Thanks Erin! I will have to give them a try!

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
ok thanks for the info

liluqt

Cavy Slave
I found a local farm near me that has timothy hay for around $5 a bale.. which is about 40-50lbs, they said. I'm going to go pick it up as opposed to paying tons to have them deliver it when it's only about an hours drive away. Anyway, has anybody ever gotten hay from (broken link removed)? I just wanted to know if the quality of their hay is great. And as for the mites and hay thing.. if mites were in the hay, shouldn't they die without a host to live on if you leave the hay out for a while? They can't live in hay, can they? I currently use Kaytee Timothy Hay and my pigs do have mites which is costing me hundreds to get it treated at a vet right now. I know you guys probably clarified this already, but I'm just as safe, if not safer with farm hay, right? I just don't want another mites episode if I can prevent it. It's not fun. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.