Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Finding a Friend

GGLuv

Cavy Slave
This was my 2nd attempt at the Rescue Center to find a friend for Patches. The 1st time Patches was just not interested/ready and we were only able to try one paring. The other piggy was constantly all over Patches wanting to play I guess and Patches finally starting biting him which ended that paring. After which Patches didn't want to try again.

Today, we tried 3 different piggies and one of them twice but they did not like Patches and all the parings ended in fights. This time Patches was the aggressor and the other piggies wanted nothing to do with him.

I talked to a lady who was there for the 4th time today with her little girl and she was finally able to find one that worked. Since getting new piggies at a rescue center is hit and miss, no telling when they will get more in. In the meantime, Patches is all alone. I do have to say that since Murphy passed away, Patches has become more affectionate with me which I enjoy.

I have found that the more pigs you try in one day, the more stressed the pig gets and the less chance that a pairing will work.

I have also found that pigs don't act as they normally would in a situation like this. A pairing could go fine at the rescue, and then not so fine at home, or vise versa.

So what's the answer for getting a friend for Patches. The rescue center will not give me a piggy without a pairing that goes well.

how old is patches? i've had similar problems with my "herd". i brought home senior citizen george, but he and my adolescent jerry didn't get along, and i had to separate my three pigs into 2 cages: george and kramer, and then jerry alone. just recently adopted senior newman after a meet and greet which went well. but once home, newman was very nervous, and scared. anytime jerry came close he'd scream and jerry would back off. never any fighting, but no closeness either. they had buddy bath, and all the proper intro techniques. right now, i'm trying to be patient. it's been one week since newman came home, and jerry is still a frisky teen-ager. "Piggy dramas" as the rescuers told me, are unpredictable. just like people, they don't always get along. the best you can do is minimize the risks and try to match personalities. it's been suggested to me that sometimes waiting till adolescence is over helps. also, and older male with a younger male sometimes works better. good luck! and by the way, when jerry was alone, i kind of liked it too - he was much more affectionate with me - but seemed lonely for another pig buddy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.