Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Finally!

Blog entry from old forum

Wodentoad

Cavy Slave
Last night, we finally achieved piggy peace. It's taken a month, but at last, Zane has allowed bear to eat and drink without harassment. Bear's looking a little shaggy, though. I need to weigh him, but I don't know how informative this will be.

I think a little rearranging is still necessary. I have a half-finished bent-grid arch that I need to finish, and another. I'm a little lost. Luckily I have some extra fleece from the last set up, and it should cover the new arches just fine. I think I'm going to leave some little "doors" on the bent grid to give piggies a little more privacy, as I would hate to force them to be out in the open, but I want them to have multiple exits.

I've decided to blanket stitch the cloth on, with some deep-tone colored yarn it should retain the quieter natural feel of the rest of the cage.

On a more somber note, I'm not setting foot in Pets ect again. Pet smart at least has employees that seem to care for the animals, but the mammals in Pets ect had little food, no water, and were just in atrocious conditions. Even the fish were in bare tanks with no plants to hide or rest in, and only a smattering of gravel on the bottom. I'd rather go back to Active Pets. If I told them their pigs could choke on that seedy crap, they'd probably listen.

I asked if they had Timothy Pellet. I use kaytee Timothy complete for cost reasons, and the owner picked up a bag and looked at the ingredients. A bag dripping with all sorts of smoo that pigs don't need and that my pigs won't eat, anyway. I wouldn't have gone had it not been an emergency, but I think in a non-emergency situation, I'm going to check by the OTHER local pet shop to see if they carry the pellet I need. I know that I should only shop here or there, but I'm willing to make concessions on some things. The care shown to the animals they have is one. They have a well versed employee looking in on the fish, who have a great environment, same with the rest of the animals.

Anyway, So there is at least peace in one more corner of my house. If only I could cure the birds next.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Kaytee Timothy Complete is not a good pellet. It has lots of fillers and a preservative believed to cause cancer. A high quality pellet can save you vet bills in the future. If you have adult piggies they should only be getting 1/8 to 1/4 cup of pellets per pig per day anyway. Buying in bulk saves money as well.

Wodentoad

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your reply. I was not sure how bad it is, though anything is better than what we DID have which was the colored bit, alfalfa, wheat, seed crap. I do understand, and I will get them some fresh oxbow pellet just as soon as I can.

Thank you again!

P.S. Your profile pic is GORGEOUS! Looks like a rabbit, as much as my long hair, Zane looks like a squirrel. Very sweet!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.