Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Filthy Fiddlesticks

zippysmom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I have a large fiddlesticks tunnel and after a year and six months it is pretty grimy :sad: . I feel grose touching it let alone looking at it. It has poop stuck in between the cracks. How can I clean it?

Fay

Cavy Slave
Just wash the dirty stuff off with water and let it to dry if that doesn't work consider replacing it, a lot of toys need replacing just like fleece bedding, cosies and towels and such after a certain period of time. Ussualy fiddlestick tunnels stay good for a very long time and stains are easily removed. Just don't use any cleaning products however you could try using vinegar or other products you use to clean the cage itselve but since most guineas actually digest the tunnels and the product will go into the sticks it might be best not to. But I have no experience in using such products on fiddlestick tunnels so it might be best to ask someone else.

Last edited:

fairysari

Cavy Slave
If it is that gross and you have never cleaned it, just toss it. Wood soaks stuff up, so it doesn't last forever.

I clean all my hideys, inclusing the fiddle sticks, when I clean the cage. For the fiddle sticks I usually just use hot water, with maybe a little bit of vinegar in it, and scrub it with a sponge. Make sure it is dry before you put it back in the cage though.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I agree, if it is that gross that you don't want to touch it, I wouldn't let the pigs near it! 18 months is pretty good wear out of a set of fiddlesticks. Treat your pigs and yourself to a new set!

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Same here, I'm about to throw out one set of fiddlesticks. I do the same thing with cleaning them. However, the only place that sells fiddlesticks near me is almost an hour away. So, it's going to be a while before I get a new set.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Sandpaper works well to take off surface stuff. I sand down the top of the wooden house every 6months or so otherwise I'd have had to throw it out already.

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
I use an old toothbrush and clear water to scrub all the stuff in Louise's cage. Then, if her wooden hidey house gets a little stinky around the bottom, I let it soak in a mild bleach solution for a few minutes then rinse it very well and let it air dry. I would imagine the same process would work well on the fiddle sticks too. Just be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse, and give it plenty of time to air dry (in the sun if possible).

littlebear

Cavy Slave
If it is so bad to the point you just dont want to touch it just throw it away. But next time every now and then I sand parts down and then put it in the oven at 225 degrees for 30 minutes it does the trick for monthly total clean outs. But I would throw it away if it is that horrible.