Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

fighting brothers

laura

Cavy Slave
Hi,

background
I have had my two boys since July, they both came from the same mum. Bill and ted were in a pet shop cage for about a week until i found you guys. then i made my c and c cage, 2 x4. we extended it to two levels, so there is lots and lots of spaces, bill (slightley bigger one) has always been a little bit of the boss. Since we got them from a breeder in july they were aprox 5 months old then, all these months they been popcorning around, sleeping side by side.

problem
the last few weeks bill (slightley bigger one) has been a bit agressive, nose to nose with ted, teeth chattering, trying to jump on ted, cornering ted in to a corner. chasing him till he squeeks with fright. just now i found ted nearly hanging over the top of the cage while bill was cornering him, so i grabbed him before he fell over the edge.
bearing in mind its a c and c cage so they are quite high.

help needed please
i dont understand why this is hapening now, we have brought them both out tonight then put them back, and he still starts on him, i have seperated the cage for tonight, just in case something happens in the night.

please please advise is needed, is there anything i can do or is that it ?
:sad:

xx

piggerz

Cavy Slave
How old are your boys? It's possible they are going through puberty. If you can, give them an even larger cage, as boars tend to be very territorial. If you expand the cage, make sure it is spic and span clean, then give them a buddy bath, that usually works. Perhaps someone else can shed some more light on the buddy bath issue. Now that they are seperated, I would keep them seperate, until the cage is enlarged...as everytime they get seperated, they will have to re-establish rank and order.

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
I agree that they are most likely going through puberty. Unless there is bloodshed I wouldn't separate them because then you have to completely start the introduction process all over again. Guinea pigs don't have very long memories I doubt they would remember that they once knew each other. The buddy bath is really a last resort. Please take a look at the website below it may answer all your questions. It expalins the social life of pigs and down near the bottom gives excellent advice on introductions, what is normal dominance behavior and what is not as well as how to do a buddy bath if necessary.
http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

laura

Cavy Slave
HI,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVISE,
I am going to go home tonight and do exactley that. fingers crossed it all works out.
I just feel I have bad luck with animals.

this site is the best !!!!!!!!!!!!