Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Few things I'd like to know about my guinea pig :D

MidnightWolfie

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

I decided to ask few questions about Freddi. First of all, i want to tell you all that I see myself as a pretty good owner. Freddi loves me and always comes to me if something scares him. He is almost 1 year old and he's too fat and beautiful :3

First of all, I want to know how long should his nails be? At first they were really short, but suddenly they started growing very fast and now the almost made half of a circle. I would like to cut them, but I'm afraid to hurt them. So i always just cut a little less then the tip.

Second, I'd like to know if there is any specific reason why Freddi is afraid of walking on the floor. I think it's because of his nails. When i put him on a table, he runs all over it, or just presses tight to me and cuddles. If i put him on my bed, he jumps all around it and runs around, screaming. Even tries to cuddle my dog, but Max (the dog) doesn't like that :p He's jealous type xP Freddi also loves to be under Christmas tree.

And last thing, is only Freddi laying in funny poses, or do other guineas too? He lays on his right shoulder, pushes his left leg forward and sleeps like that :D

Can you post a picture of his nails?

I really don't think it's his nails, he might just be scared of not being with some one he trusts. how does he act when your not home?

The sleeping pose is fine, lots of guinea pigs do that.

What color are his nails? If they're light colored, you can see the "quick" inside, a pinkish line that runs through the middle of the nail. That's where the nerves and blood vessels are, and you should trim just barely beyond that point.

If his nails are dark, just keep nibbling from the end until you hit the quick in one of them (he'll let you know where that is), and then use that as a guide. Half a circle is way too long to let them grow. Look at some of the pictures here, and you'll see that most of the nail are quite short.

The more frequently you trim his nails, the faster the quick will recede, making it easier for you to cut them shorter next time. I try not to let my pigs' nails get so long that they stop being straight, usually just a couple of millimeters. Longer than that and they start to curve, which is when I cut them.

As bpatters said, if the nails are translucent, you can see the bloodline and avoid clipping through it. Dark nails are trickier, but they should be around the same length, so use the lighter ones a guideline. If you do cut to the quick, don't panic. Styptic powder will stop the bleeding, and I've read corn starch works as well.

If you're a wimp (like me), call your vet and see how much it is for a nail trimming. My Borat's nails were curled when I first got him, and I discovered it was only $10 to have a trim done at the vet. I can do him myself now, since his nails are light, but my Amy has dark nails so she's going in soon.

The poses sound like typical cute guinea pig sleeping positions.

Thank you everyone for the respond :)

I'll wait till my sister gets home. She's very stone cold when it comes to nails cutting. I'm a wimp as you, Mufasa :p

Also, Gohan, he either just eats or sleeps when i'm not home. or screams at my mom to give him a carrot D:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.