Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

ferrets and children

kathmom26

Cavy Slave
Just caught a show on ferrets on PBS. What age would your human children need to be to have one or two of these critters? I noticed the people on the show had cats and I saw one dog. I did not see any kids lol
Kathy

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They'd have to be pretty old, I'd say over 12 and an animal lover if they are the primary caregiver. If you decide to get one be sure to do much research on them. You could probly get one if you have children that are under 12 but you should be the primary care giver. Do you have Guinea Pigs, cause if you do you probly shouldnt get ferrets because they would hunt and kill them.
here are a few good reads bout ferrets and their care: Is a ferret right for me?
Hugawoozel Index
http://www.2ndchance.info/ferretcare.htm

kathmom26

Cavy Slave
Thanks, from the little bit I have read just now and before I think it is a lot of work. Maybe later. Thinking of maybe a dog someday. We had one 15 years ago. I just like to read up on different critters for now.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
i think ferrets are great i would allow my child to have one from at least 9 as a ferret rescue we know how gentle these creatures are they have a very bad repeputation

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
A lot depends on the temperament of the ferret. When Jacob was little I had a pair of ferrets. They were the most playful, loving animals ever. They were great with Jacob...loved to chase him and play hide-n-seek, and they loved to be cuddled with him just as much. They'd have just assumed die before they harmed him or anyone else. They slept and played with my dogs and cats. They were just the best pets ever!

Recently a family member adopted a ferret from a local rescue and within one day had to get rid of him........so of course he wound up on my door step. My kids are 4 and 8, and I cannot let this ferret around them. I don't know what type of life he had before he came to us, but I suspect it wasn't a good one. He is not playful, not loveable AT ALL, and is a pretty vicious biter. :( I am able to manage myself around him....I know not to lean my arms against his cage, and when I put my hands into his cage I have to approach him where he can see me and take him out before I mess with anything in his cage..... he is very territorial and will lock down on my arm and shake until he rips it open.
He will attack my kids no matter what. When I take him out to walk (run) him on his halter the kids have to stay away because he will actually lunge and grab on to their legs.
It pretty much seals his stay here, as I can't adopt him out, I don't want to give him back to the crapty rescue he came from (they adopted him out in a GERBIL cage!), and no matter how hard I try I can't seem to curb his biting habit. Poor little guy, it makes me sad to think of what made him this way in his former life.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.