Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting Females do this?

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I have 3 females (100% positive they are girls. All checked by the vet and myselff. One of them I adopted turned out to be pregnant) Well today one of them is in heat and one of my pigs came over and mounted her and it made the piggy in heat stop rumbling and swaying. Do females do this?

I'm pretty new at being a GP parent and have two girls. I brought a new girl home a couple of days ago and was amazed at what they could do. The very dominate one sprayed pee and the less dominate one mounted the new girl. They are now all in sync and I guess know their place as-far-as cavies go. I dunno' I'm just the Mom. Yes, they are all girls.

Okay. Mine spray pee if someone gets in their way also. I didnt know they could mount, I thought only males do this. Guess I was wrong

Dominant females mount other females. That's how they show their dominance.

Mounting is a sign of dominance, as Pinky mentioned. It's not an exclusively male behavior.

Thanks guys. I didnt know females could do this. At least I know who is dominant for once.

When Quee and Kwee first met, Quee tried to mount Kwee, but Kwee kept running away, so Quee just settled on sort of jumping over her from the side. Silly things.

haha mine does that. Yesterday she actually managed to mount her

You might also notice ear nibbling, taking quick nips, shooing out of pigloos, guarding food dishes or water bottles, etc. They try and control the actions of the others and get first dibs on what they want. If the others wait their turn, it's usually all good. If they don't, the dominant one might be more reactive. I have one that lets out a loud scream if the dominant one bothers her. She doesn't even have to nip or bully but Curly figured out that the screams make Wishbone back off. It's all about strategy and testing the others. Sometimes I just sit and watch them to see how they've all learned to deal with one another.

You might also notice ear nibbling, taking quick nips, shooing out of pigloos, guarding food dishes or water bottles, etc. They try and control the actions of the others and get first dibs on what they want. If the others wait their turn, it's usually all good. If they don't, the dominant one might be more reactive. I have one that lets out a loud scream if the dominant one bothers her. She doesn't even have to nip or bully but Curly figured out that the screams make Wishbone back off. It's all about strategy and testing the others. Sometimes I just sit and watch them to see how they've all learned to deal with one another.

That is exactly what mine are going through. Lucy try's to be the boss then Molly screams at the slightest nudge (she is just a little baby) then Lucy not only backs off but sometimes she even, what appears to be a kiss or lick, and quiets her down. If I am in the room or their in my lap she runs cause she knows I will get on to her. Their just like children! lol

I have a baby piggy with mine. She screams if my piggy emily comes near her. Emily doesnt even touch her and she screams!

If I am in the room or their in my lap she runs cause she knows I will get on to her. Their just like children! lol

It's so true! They are just like children.

Yes they are if they see me they immediately stop and act like nothing happened such naughty piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.