Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Female chasing other females tail(so to speak)?

scamper1207

Cavy Slave
I bought 6 week old female cage mates(they are now 10 weeks old) and one is for sure more dominant, but today Pixie(the dominant) is chasing Saphyra around the cage sniffing her bottom. Saphyra doesn't seem to like this at all and just keeps running away. I took them out and checked the sexing and still don't see and can't get a penis to stick out, so I still believe they are both females. Any info would be helpful, I have only had a single rescue male before these gals.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
In my opinion, she's probably just in heat. All of my girls go crazy during "their time" and start chasing each other around and mounting each other. They go into heat about every 2 weeks and it lasts about 24 to 48 hours. It should subside soon.

scamper1207

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the quick response. I read that in one of my books but just thought they were too young for that already. Maybe they are actually older then I was told. They both weigh 461 grams, is that about right for a 10 week old? I feel better about it anyway, but will still watch them for the next 24 hours.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They can breed at 4 weeks so she isn't too young to be in heat. If you got them at a pet store I would verify their genders though. Please adopt next time.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Have you checked out this link for help with sexing your piggies?

Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Guinea Pigs

If you are positive they are females, I agree that she's probably just in heat and showing dominance behaviour. I have 5 girls and they do the same thing when they are in heat. It doesn't last long - but with 5 of them - someone always seems to be in heat!!

scamper1207

Cavy Slave
I have sexed them with the pictures from this site and they are both the same, girls! I'm sure that over the last month I would have seen this behavior prior to this if I had a male and a female; there is no attempt to mount just chase and sniff. They are in my daycare room, so I watch them all day, everyday and this morning was the first time I saw this behavior. I am still watching them closely and it seems to be getting better, so I do think this is the first time Pixie is in heat.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

AnmlLvr14

Cavy Slave
They also have a grease gland back there (about where their tail would be if they had one). Maybe she is sniffing that? I have no idea what age (if ever) the gland becomes active though. Just another idea...

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Sounds like they are just playing an over zealous game of follow the leader. My Gertrude, who is my dominate sow, does this to Heidi, every so often Gerty will nudge too hard and make Heidi run forward slightly. It could just be your cavies coming into adolesence instead of just being in heat. I know when Gertrude is in heat she gets a little over dominate with mounting and purring at Heidi and she will sniff Heidi more when heidi is in heat.

scamper1207

Cavy Slave
Sounds like they are just playing an over zealous game of follow the leader. My Gertrude, who is my dominate sow, does this to Heidi, every so often Gerty will nudge too hard and make Heidi run forward slightly. It could just be your cavies coming into adolesence instead of just being in heat. I know when Gertrude is in heat she gets a little over dominate with mounting and purring at Heidi and she will sniff Heidi more when heidi is in heat.

Thanks for this info tehdoc809! Since these are my first females all of this is new to me. I'm just real resposible and don't want any babies.:)

werevamper

Cavy Slave
It could be a dominance thing too. My boys go back and forth with who's boss and always chasing each other and whining. They're not trying to mount either.

Clarion

Cavy Slave
My two young female pigs behave this way too, and they very often will get on each other's nerves doing it. One (Kedi) will sometimes even give her sister (Kopek) a little spray of urine if she persists in sniffing. I feel sorry for Kopek but I can't stop it from happening and find it kind of funny!:silly:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.