Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Female bucking, nipping, and other behavior towards cagemate

calisphere

Cavy Slave
It's been a while since I posted. I discovered that my new addition, Cupcake, is blind. The vet didn't specify why. She's adapted well enough as guinea pigs do but she still won't eat fresh foods, only hay and pellets. That's another story though. My problem is that Hippo, my first pig, seems to be exhibiting interesting behaviors. She seems very protective of her blind mate. The odd thing is that she seems very pushy towards Cupcake. She seems to want to keep Cupcake in one spot and will nip or push her to keep her in place. She has gone as far as kicking with her back legs. They are constantly talking to each other but it seems more like that mumbling guinea pigs do when they're eating.

I haven't heard any fighting or anything, but I am worried that I might be letting a problem get bigger. Playtime is a rather boring affair. Cupcake lays down and Hippo poops everywhere. Sometimes she chews on the dog's tail instead. There is no running about or anything. Any suggestions? Floor time is a few hours while we watch a movie or two.

Are these behaviors new? And how old is Hippo?

She may be exhibiting signs of ovarian cysts, and if so, will need treatment.

Floor time is an epic fail at my house, too. Mine refuse to move, except to get under the nearest thing that might protect them from the eagles flying in my house. :p

Floor time is an epic fail at my house, too. Mine refuse to move, except to get under the nearest thing that might protect them from the eagles flying in my house. :p

That made me snort my coffee!
But so true.....LOL

I was also going to ask if this was new behavior or going on since day 1. Did Hippo ever have babies? Perhaps she did in the past and this is her "mothering" instinct to protect and keep in one spot.
But the kicking is something I've never seen. That's a new one. I would think it was a reaction to fear or danger but not sure why that would be exhibited with another pig as you described.

Hippo is about a year old and according to the woman I bought her from, she was bred once. I haven't had them out for floor time together much because of Cupcake's situation and my bedroom was a mess. I'm tearing up carpet, so there are boxes galore. I would take her out just by herself and let her lay in my lap.

It is possible that Hippo was popcorning and it just looked like a kick because she was so close to Cupcake. It's just that neither of them have ever popcorned and there wasn't much to get excited about at the time. I'll try to get a video of the behavior.

These two are just so different from my previous herd. With those guys, everything would set off squeals and running around in delight. I thought the cage would fall over with all the popcorning that went on every time I turned on the hair dryer or vacuum, let alone actually feed the silly things.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.