Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Felix's Big Day

Precia

Cavy Slave
Today the cage I ordered came in the mail! So I imediately packed up Felix into his carrier and visited our local animal shelter. There we met "Pi-pi", another male pig.

They first saw each other through the bars of a metal gate. Felix got so excited he purred, wheeked, and pressed himself up against the gate. Pi-pi wheeked back and sniffed him through the bars. Sadly things didn't go so well once the gate was removed. They sniffed each other and then proceeded to try and mount each other. It slowly escalated till they were chasing each other around and Pi-pi bit Felix's ears a little to hard for my liking. (It didn't break the skin though.)

We decided that Pi-pi was probably too dominant for Felix. So tomorrow we are going back to meet two other pigs, Jake and Harley. They were previously housed together at their last home but failed to get along so their owner gave them up. Even though they don't get along together one of them may lke Felix. I figure it's worth a try.

Once we got home I set up the new cage. It is so big! (Ok, not really, compared to some of the C&C cages I have seen on here, :crazy:) Felix seems to like it but I think he is too tired to truly enjoy it. Here are some pictures!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Felix's Big Day[GuineaPigCages.com] Felix's Big Day[GuineaPigCages.com] Felix's Big Day

I probably would have waited just another day before switching cages since they new guys need to be introduced in a neutral territory anyways and cages need to be 100% cleaned before getting them together.

Having them meet at the rescue can sometimes have different results than at home, but good luck finding Felix a buddy! I had to switch a few parings around in high school for some of my other pigs to get along. But luckily this year, every that is new seems to be okay with each other!

I probably would have waited just another day before switching cages since they new guys need to be introduced in a neutral territory anyways and cages need to be 100% cleaned before getting them together.

Having them meet at the rescue can sometimes have different results than at home, but good luck finding Felix a buddy! I had to switch a few parings around in high school for some of my other pigs to get along. But luckily this year, every that is new seems to be okay with each other!

Don't worry, when I bring the new friend home I will do a complete clean and rearrange everything in the cage. I am also going to wash them so that they smell alike.

Update! Felix and I met Jake and Harley today but neither were a good match. There is a 6 month old pig (Charlie) in another shelter about 45 minutes away from me. Felix is starting to become scared by other piggies so I am worrying that we will make the trip for nothing. We might try visiting Charlie tomorrow but I am really worried that it won't work.

The cage you posted looks okay for one pig but I would not house two pigs in a cage that size. It is not large enough for two to live peacefully. If you are worried about them fighting, not enough room is very likely one thing that will lead to fighting.

The cage is 8sq feet of space. I bought this one specifically because other pig owners told me it would be big enough for 2 pigs. D:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.