Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Feeling guilty for doing the right thing...

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Ever feel guilty for doing the right thing? I normally let things go, let someone else handle a problem, but this one I couldn't. Just need to vent a little and seek some advice/encouragement.

I'm an honest employee. I work hard at my job. Never call off. I'm even facing another promotion :) But I can't stand behind fellow employees that aren't honest. I check Yelp off and on for reviews on my company, to see what people are saying, out of curiosity, a variety of reasons. Last week I saw five posts, one after another in the filtered section. All 4-5 stars. All posted the same day. They were from 5 of my coworkers. And what's worse, they didn't even try. For instance, the username would be "Johnny" and the review would be something along the lines of "I bought a Mustang here a week ago, blah blah blah, the experience was great, blah blah blah, if you're looking to purchase a car, go see Johnny!"

.... Really?? .....

Come to find out our general manager asked our salesmen "if any of you have actually been a customer here also for service or whatever, could you please go write a review?" This is against Yelp's policy and not only that but you shouldn't need to beg your employees to write good reviews just to get your ratings up. Treat the customers with respect and integrity and the reviews will come on their own. I could easily go on Yelp and be all "I had the best experience in the service department thanks to Kourtney, yadda yadda yadda" but I have more self respect than that. I know if my customers are over joyed with me, they will mention it, and I have no reason to worry about bad reviews because I don't let it be an option. Had they been legitimate looking reviews I may have looked away but any reader could see they were made by employees and it was just embarrassing. (And they posted their pictures... Yes, I work with some "brilliant" men...) So, I flagged the reviews stating they were made by employees of the company and within a couple hours the reviews were removed.

So... Why do I feel guilty now? I feel guilty (or worried) should my employer find out it was me and what I would face then. But then, why should I feel crappy about doing the right thing and if any consequences would be faced, wouldn't they be wrongful? I don't know, I'm probably worrying and being paranoid over nothing, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

First of all, your employer cannot terminate you for doing this. You DID do the right thing. If anything, your general manager's manager must be contacted because he was encouraging dishonesty, not only on behalf of the company, but on behalf of the morals of his employees. He is looking to bring in customers based on false claims. This is wrong, and is false advertising for the company, which (in another sense) is illegal.
I think you feel crappy about doing the right thing because you are worried of the way it will alter people's perceptions of you.. does this come from insecurity in yourself? I ask this only because I have often worried about the same kind of things you do, but only recently through self discovery have I found that it stems with insecurity within myself.

I do not think you should worry.

It probably is stemming from some sort of insecurity. This is the first job I've had where I've been appreciated and faced promotions, so perhaps it's like a "this is too good to be true and something's going to screw it up" type of thing.

It probably is stemming from some sort of insecurity. This is the first job I've had where I've been appreciated and faced promotions, so perhaps it's like a "this is too good to be true and something's going to screw it up" type of thing.

It's better to be over-cautious and careful than be careless!! I think you did the right thing and don't need to worry, but maybe input from other working adults will help you. -hugs-

First of all, your employer cannot terminate you for doing this.

Incorrect. California is an at-will employment state, and one can quit or be terminated at any time without reason, unless one is part of a union.

Incorrect. California is an at-will employment state, and one can quit or be terminated at any time without reason, unless one is part of a union.

Whoops, guess I should have looked over individual state regulations before making that statement.

Whoops, guess I should have looked over individual state regulations before making that statement.

:expressio

Anyhow, Kourt, you shouldn't feel bad. False reviews like that should be flagged. And lets be honest, there is no problem in leveling the playing field by doing that. You didn't do anything wrong or dishonest. Also, I don't see how your employer would find out it was you. If they have the time and resources to do that, they wouldn't need to encourage employees to falsify Yelp reviews.

Thanks guys :)

Wow, so last night one of the managers posted a review, and he posted a one star review on our competitors page. So disappointing.

I think what you're describing is more common than you think. A relative of mine is a regional manager for a large chain. He sees it all and says some competitors regularly try and sabotage the other successful businesses. Personally, I don't think Yelp is very credible. There are people who write crazy things just to do it. I wouldn't sweat it or even read what's written. Just do your job to the best of your ability. You can't control the actions of others and if you worry what they're doing, you'll drive yourself crazy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.