Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Feeding

rob5482

Cavy Slave
Ok so I have read and searched until my eyes are blurry and I can't find this out. I know I have to feed 1 cup of veggies per pig 2x a day and 1/8th cup of pellets per pig as well, but what I don't see is what if they don't eat all the food.

This morning we put 2 cups of veggies (bell pepper, a baby carrot, romaine lettuce and some cucumber) along with 1/4 cup of pellets. They ate almost all of the veggies and some of the pellets.

Do I leave it all in there until the next feeding? Take it out? Haven't found this information in my searches. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hi. Most of us split veggies between 2 feedings. I have 2 sows so we do 1 cup in the am one in the pm. Pellets get changed 1x a day, and we wash the bowl before putting in new pellets.

You just feed one cup of veggies per pig, period. The total amount of veggies for a pig is 1 cup a day.

I remove any uneaten veggies before they get wilty and gross. I have a poilicy where if I wouldn't eat it, the pigs shouldn't either. So nothing that has wilted or oxidized.

Some pigs eat pellets more slowly. I feed my older pigs pellets in the morning, and there's still a couple left over the next morning. Just refill as usual. No worries.

Ok so the pellets can be left in there till the next day and refilled after cleaning the bowl. I thought that was a lot of veggies, I read it wrong. So ill leave the veggies for a few hours and then remove whatever hasn't been eaten. New veggies in the pm and the same remove them after a few hours before bedtime.

Your pigs have left over food??? *shocked look*

My boys eat everything. The only thing I may have left over by the next day is, maybe, some hay.

If your pig has left overs I would look at the amount your feeding. It may be too much, be that pellets or veggies. My boys get:

1-2 leaves lettuce (depending on size, larger the leaf the less they get).
1 baby carrot cut into four strips (this makes them think there is more ;) )
3 springs of parsley
1/2 cherry tomato (Reko and Romeo, Mojo hates those)
1/3 of a bell pepper ( so in total 1 pepper a day between the three of them)

When I have it I'll toss in some fruit or other veggies but this is their staple.

They get 1/8 pellets and unlimited hay.

My three boys are sitting between 1100gs and 1350gs (they each weigh different amounts), so as you can see they are NOT hurting in the weight department.

If there's poo in the bowl I usually change out the pellets...otherwise they go 24 hrs without getting changed.

MissJean is correct - you should be feeding 1 cup of veggies, be it in one feeding or two or even three, there should only be 1 cup per pig each day. Also they should have UNLIMITED hay.

I feed my pigs first thing in the morning (usually 8-9am) and around 8pm at night, I also clean their cage while I'm feeding them: remove poo, clean out icky hay, dump out any left over veggies (which is rare), etc. then refill their hay bins, and either AM or PM I wash out water bottles and refill pellets. And anytime I notice my piggies are running low on hay I refill their bin.

Oh and I should add I feed pellets and veggies in the morning. I refill hay two to three times a day, once in the morning, maybe lunch time, and at night before bed. I wash out their bowls every morning before I feed them.

I never change pellets, because there aren't any left. There usually aren't any veggies left, either, but if there are, I may or may not remove them at the next feeding. If they're still crunchy, like carrots or bell pepper, they stay. If they wilt, like lettuce or herbs, I take them out.

But if yours are regularly leaving food, you may be feeding them too much, or not often enough. Young pigs don't need a whole cup of food per day -- that's the recommendation for an adult pig. But if yours are adults and are leaving food from a cup of veggies, then I'd feed them less but more often.

Last edited:
Awesome info, TY so much. They ate all of the veggies for their dinner, so I think we gave them too much this morning.

Your pigs have left over food??? *shocked look*

My boys eat everything. The only thing I may have left over by the next day is, maybe, some hay.

If your pig has left overs I would look at the amount your feeding. It may be too much, be that pellets or veggies. My boys get:

1-2 leaves lettuce (depending on size, larger the leaf the less they get).
1 baby carrot cut into four strips (this makes them think there is more ;) )
3 springs of parsley
1/2 cherry tomato (Reko and Romeo, Mojo hates those)
1/3 of a bell pepper ( so in total 1 pepper a day between the three of them)

When I have it I'll toss in some fruit or other veggies but this is their staple.

They get 1/8 pellets and unlimited hay.

My three boys are sitting between 1100gs and 1350gs (they each weigh different amounts), so as you can see they are NOT hurting in the weight department.

They get that much veggie a day?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.