Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Favourite Books

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
The Wizard of Oz will be on at night on TBS this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe any of you interested in trying out Wicked would like to watch it so that you can see both sides of the story, the movie and the book (both of which portray the characters in completely different ways).

Emmett

Cavy Slave
Tonight after work I went to the library and took out 2 of the newer Joe Grey mysteries. I forgot how much I've missed reading. Thanks for this thread.:goodvibes

zippysmom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
The Wizard of Oz will be on at night on TBS this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe any of you interested in trying out Wicked would like to watch it so that you can see both sides of the story, the movie and the book (both of which portray the characters in completely different ways).
That is so thoughtful. I have seen it many, many times so I want to read the book and then read Wicked.

I like the classics like Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, and Lewis Carroll. Old school stuff. Plus Mary Poppins but I half read it but so for it is amazing.

cavy-cool-crazy said:
I am a serious chick lit. girl.
Have you read Bridget Jones Diary? I really want to read it but I haven't gotten around to it. I feel like I spoiled it because of watching the movie so much.

GuineaPigLuv

Cavy Slave
I have recently fallen in love and became totally obsessed with the book The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. Has Anyone here read That was then, this is now or Rumble fish I think those are the sequels to The Ousiders and I don't want to read them and be disappointed that they aren't as good.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
If you like a good crime book then old Patricia Cornwell books are excellent. I don't normally like crime/mystery solving books but these were excellent. Its about a medical examiner and her friends who catch criminals. Really interesting and hard to put down!

I also love books by Dan Brown, really good for an interesting adventure story with a different background than many have.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
Have you read Bridget Jones Diary? I really want to read it but I haven't gotten around to it. I feel like I spoiled it because of watching the movie so much.

I read the book after I'd seen the film (very unusual for me, I'm normally very strict with myself and the children about that!). Still loved the book and The Edge of Reason too. Bridget Jones' Diary is a reworking of Pride and Prejudice while Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a reworking of Persuasion. So read the Jane Austen as well - you'll get even more from the Helen Fielding's.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm probably an oddball. I like Historical fiction and historical non-fiction. I like vampire novels, native american fiction, historical romance and just other books here and there.

Have not read any of the Harry Potter books. Did read the Hobbit years and years ago in school.

Favorite authors include Poppy Z. Brite (VJ I still have the photos), Stephen King, Jean M. Auel, W. Michael Gear/Kathleen O'Neal Gear, Sue Harrison, William Sarabande, V.C. Andrews and Catherine Coulter.

Jean Auel did the Clan of the Cave Bear series.
W. Michael Gear/Kathleen O'Neal Gear do the People Series, which is wonderful. Reading their latest one now, People of the Moon.
William Sarabande (pseudonym, writer is actually a woman) did the First Americans series.
Sue Harrison is a native american fiction writer.

Poppy Z. Brite does vampire/horror books and other things.
Catherine Coulter does historical romance and other genre (I think mystery).
Of course most everyone knows Stephen Kings genre is horror.

As far as one single favorite book, I don't think I have one.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Stored in my mom's basement and attic are boxes upon boxes of books I've read. Practically a whole library among them. lol In the apartment my books long ago spilled off the bookshelf and coffee table. If Chris didn't yell at me to pick them up they'd probably take over most of the floor by now. Currently I'm rereading the Narnia books cause I borrowed them from my aunt years ago and never read the last 2 so I just decided to read them all over again. 2 days ago I finished the latest book in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and am waiting for the last one to be released. It's one of my favorite series but the first few books were much better than the 2 written so far for this last trilogy. The author gets a bit too into preaching his beliefs and the characters end up with 2 chapter long monologues on their beliefs and reasons for doing things. That also makes each book in the series average around 600 pages and up to 900 pages. Then last night I read the first 2 books in the Fallen series by Thomas E.Sniegoski. I'm not really into religion but The Fallen is pretty well written and an interesting story whether you are really religious or completely against it. They also aren't 900 pages so I could read the entire series in 24hours if I had all the books. Trying to get Chris to go to BN right now so I can get the next 2 books in the series. :D

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
Hmmm... "Little Women", the entire Harry Potter series, I did like "Angels and Demons" from Dan Brown, "To kill a Mockingbird", "The Work and the Glory" (all 9 of them!) and "The Notebook". "Green Eggs and Ham", "The Giving Tree" , "You are Special" and "Love You Forever" are some of my favorites to read to the kids. I also love Anne of Green Gables, but that's the Canadian in me. My family is from out east so it holds a special place in my heart.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
My favorite book of all time is A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. Definitely a wonderful read, but be prepared with a box of tissues.

I love Patricia Cornwell, but then again, I live in Richmond, and her books are based here. I've read all of Anne Rice's books (pre-religious awakening). Angels and Demons by Dan Brown was great, but I have yet to read The DaVinci Code. I've immensely enjoyed all of the Harry Potter books, and I own all of them in hardcover. Of course there is always Dr. Seuss.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
My absolute favorite kid's book would have to be "Click, Clack, Moo. Cows that Type" hilarious. Although my favorite one to read out loud to a group of kids is "Is your Mama a Llama?"

zippysmom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Oh yes! I like books with pictures too. I like Halloween books or funny books to read. If it is a super serious book it is hard to captivate kids.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Ly - I love the Clan of the Cave Bear series! I'm waiting anxiously for the next book; I have this terrible fear that Jean M. Auel will die before she gets it written. Have you heard anything about the new one?

Inrun

Cavy Slave
Ly - I love the Clan of the Cave Bear series! I'm waiting anxiously for the next book; I have this terrible fear that Jean M. Auel will die before she gets it written. Have you heard anything about the new one?

I've been searching the French Forums to see if there's been any news and as of yet i've found nothing. I heard a rumor (that I pray is false) that JM Auel split with her husband, and he has rights to the books? So she can't write anymore. Which to me just sucks.

Agh! Was anyone else horribly dissapointed by what Ayla named her daughter? To this day it drives me nuts.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I was disappointed that Ayla ended up with Jondalar. I never thought that there was anything special about him, except for being attractive and good at certain illicit activities. :) He seems really whinny and possessive and jealous and full of himself. But that's just my opinion.

I still like the stories, though, and I'm anxious to see if anything plays out from that dream Ayla had of one of her sons killing the other. I was always most interested in the parts of the story with the Clan in them.

I think there's a website out there where Jean's son either confirms or denies gossip and rumors about Jean and the books. I'll see if I can find it.

I didn't care for the name Jonayla either. Pretty lame in my opinion. I had hopes she'd give her daughter a Clan type name.

Inrun

Cavy Slave
She should've named her daughter Iza. *sulk*

Really? Hmm. I havn't seen that website. Frankly i've found it oddly hard to find fansites about her work. The most I normally find is stuff about the herbs Ayla uses.

I'm happy she ended up with Jondalar though. I never really liked Ranec. And hey, whats wrong with being handsome and good at certain illicit activities?

I have strange hopes that Durc somehow turns up in the next book, though I doubt that'll happen. Dangit. Now I want to re-read the series.

__ben

Cavy Slave
I think the best book I've read in along time was Howls Moving Castle by some lady I dont remember. It had a movie version (by Miazaki)that had great animaition but wasnt very true to the book.

Currently I've just been doing reading candy, things by Lawernce Block and Mercedes Lackey. Although I've been reading Cats Cradel for a bit which I think is very well written I plan to read The Westing Game , Slaughter House Five, and reread Animal Farm by the end of the week, my brain needs a break for awhile so I'm taking it slow. Maybe I'll see if the Warriors books have updated since I left off.

Last edited:

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
I think the best book I've read in along time was Howls Moving Castle by some lady I dont remember.

It's by Diana Wynne Jones. My son enjoys her Chrestomanci series a lot. She's another author that husband, son and I all enjoy reading.

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
I LOVE the Harry Potter series. I will be really sad when the last book comes out too!!!

I think one of the most thought provoking book I have read, which never seems to lose its significance, is To Kill a Mockingbird.

I also love Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows, and anything Jane Austen.

I love quilting and recently bought a book about them being used to help the slaves escape by using different blocks and patterns and hanging them on fences. I will be starting it soon, but I love anything historical so it should be great.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
One of my all-time favs: Anne Rice: The Witching Hour (and the subsequent books, but the first one is the best)

And I also love historical fiction. And good romance novels, I confess. And murder mystery's and just about all best-sellers...
Love Michael Crichton.

Of course, Tolkien. Never did read Clan... May have to try that series.

Ly, have you read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series? Oh my.

Ly, you haven't read the HP books? They are really good. Entertaining. Although, I get a bit lost in the later books.

I saw that Wicked was a musical out here that I missed. Is that the movie you are talking about? I've never of it. Who wrote the book?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.