Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Favoritism

socks

Cavy Slave
I got Mosby a week before I had Barney, and he loved me then. He would cuddle and kiss me and give me love bites and he just adored spending time with me. And then Barney came in and I had to spend time with Barney so that Barney would grow to trust me and love me like Mosby had.

Well, during all that bonding time Mosby decided he didn't like me as much. Now the only pig I can get kisses and love bites and cuddles from is Barney. Mosby won't have it. :/

I'm not trying to show favoritism, and I take them out at the same time if I'm capable, but it's hard. It's like having two kids and trying to convince one you don't like the other better.

Just keep taking them both out, and just let the other get used to you...they are social creatures, but sometimes it takes time. Eventually the other will see how much fun and how safe it is, and join in...but if you leave him in the cage, the anti-social behavior might get worse. I had this issue with my male raisins. He just liked to show affection differently. So while I had Charlie on my lap, he'd start using me as a jungle gym. HAHAH.

Pigs all have their own personalitys just like people. Some of my pigs love me to death, and for the whole of lap time each day, they will be purring, and end up falling asleep in my lap. Some of the others just sit there wanting to get away. Though I really do love them the same as the pigs who snuggle with me. They all have their good parts and their bad, that's why I love all my pigs the same. Like how Godric really loves me and loves to sit on my lap all day, however if I try to pet her in the cage she won't let me and will just bite my fingers. However Fus hates to cuddle on my lap, and will just run around looking for a way to jump off, but when she is in her cage, I can sit next to her, pet her, and she will purr her little head off. xD Same with Ro Dah who doesn't like me at all, but she is the cutest and most funny little pig I have ever meet. Phoenix is a grumpy girl, and loves it bite (Drawing blood), but when she is in your lap, she is like a sweet little angel, who loves to be brushed, and loves to snuggle.

haha My raisins was like Godric...he would run like his life depended on it in the large cage, but out in the open, or on my lap...he'd run towards me and crawl on me and love to be picked up and petted. Charlie is getting better about being picked up right from the cage...mind you I've had her for a year. She has always loved lap time...but she prefers to run straight up my shoulder and burrow in my hair! Always have to wear a towel over my skin or a sweat shirt with her because she books it up my boobs and shoulder...haha

Our four-year-old Quee has always been shy and tries to avoid being picked up, and as soon as you set her down on your lap or chest, she tries to run away. Kwee is much sweeter, letting you pick her up easily and being quite relaxed in your lap. We still bring them both out together though.

haha My raisins was like Godric...he would run like his life depended on it in the large cage, but out in the open, or on my lap...he'd run towards me and crawl on me and love to be picked up and petted. Charlie is getting better about being picked up right from the cage...mind you I've had her for a year. She has always loved lap time...but she prefers to run straight up my shoulder and burrow in my hair! Always have to wear a towel over my skin or a sweat shirt with her because she books it up my boobs and shoulder...haha
Haha yeah, they only time I can pet her while she is in the cage is if she is eating. xD Ro Dah does the same thing, I have to be realllly careful, or she with jump off of my lap or shoulder. o_O

I have the hardest time with this. When three became seven all in one day, we weren't really prepared to spread our love/time/attention around between seven guinea pigs and our other animals. They have each other, the four girls and three boys, and they like seeing us come veggie time, but other than that, I think they could give or take our presence. The older girls like to say hello through the grids and give kisses there. But to be held? Never! :) We are working on it, slowly but surely.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.