Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Farmers Market Vs. Grocery Store

oooh_snap

Cavy Slave
I am just wondering whether there is a recommendation as to where is better to buy veggies for our guinea pigs? There are a lot of Farmer's Markets around here and I didn't know if that would be a better option, or if either would be fine as long as the veggies are washed well before fed to our guinea pigs?

I am mostly curious given concerns about pesticides and anything that may be harmful to cavies. So where do you guys get your fresh foods for your babies?

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Well, in the summer months I do like to grow my own veggies. If you have a farmer's market I assume you can get organic produce. I like to support local farmers and try to buy locally if I can. There are many reasons it is a good thing. Less energy to transport produce, less chance of scary pesticides, supporting the local economy, etc.

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
I've been growing my own lettuce this summer but my grandma decided to pull a couple of them up and plop tomato plants on top of them instead soo... I buy down the street. I don't have a Farmers' Market near me and Whole Foods is the only place I can think that sells organically in the city but it's too far away. I have read from somewhere that you can spray part-vinegar and part-water onto your veggies after washing them and supposedly that will help with the pesticides problem? But the markets down the street are definitely much cheaper in terms of lettuce and cilantro and other goodies I can get my hands on.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Don't assume that everything at the farmer's market is 100% organic, but there's a big chance that it was not as heavily sprayed, if at all. I always recommend the farmer's market as a place to get veggies because your money stays local and your pigs get more nutrition because the food was picked when it was ripe, and it didn't travel quite so long to get to you, thus retaining a lot of its antioxidants and nutrients.

DereKL

Cavy Slave
Don't assume that everything at the farmer's market is 100% organic, but there's a big chance that it was not as heavily sprayed, if at all.

That depends on whether you are buying from a farmer or from a thinly disguised distributor.

I always recommend the farmer's market as a place to get veggies because your money stays local and your pigs get more nutrition because the food was picked when it was ripe, and it didn't travel quite so long to get to you, thus retaining a lot of its antioxidants and nutrients.

Don't assume the that everything at the farmer's market is local or properly picked either. The former depends heavily on the rules of your local market and the latter on how savvy the customers are.

Farmer's Markets are big business and only very loosely regulated.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
That depends on whether you are buying from a farmer or from a thinly disguised distributor.

Don't assume the that everything at the farmer's market is local or properly picked either. The former depends heavily on the rules of your local market and the latter on how savvy the customers are.

Farmer's Markets are big business and only very loosely regulated.

I guess that is true in some places. Here at our local markets we know everyone and where they live and how they grow their produce.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I guess that is true in some places. Here at our local markets we know everyone and where they live and how they grow their produce.

It is more so in cities than in small towns. Most farmer's markets I've been to are the way you describe it, Duff. The one in my city, which I don't go to because it is way too busy for me, it is easy for me to tell what's local and what's not, mostly because a lot of the non-local stuff is out-of-season or bound with rubber bands that note it's country of origin. Watermelons in May? In the Northeast? Not local. Asparagus in August? Not a chance. I agree that you should always ask questions and assume nothing.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Agree with DereKL. 15 years ago I tried to find farmer's markets in Houston but only found non-farmers/non-gardeners trying to make a buck by gathering under freeway overpasses & selling the same stuff as in the supermarkets, but a little cheaper because of no overhead.

Now there are real farmer's markets run by gardening clubs, selling local home grown stuff, fresher than in supermarkets but more expensive.

I wish I really knew what was REALLY organic though. In this climate, I don't see how they can get the produce to look so good without pesticides. The Gulf Coast is bug heaven.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.