Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eyes

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Okay, Furlong was just cleaning himself a couple of minutes ago, and lots of yellowish discharge started coming out of his eyes. Its gone now and its turned to crust. I've never seen it before. Is this normal?

Mine get white discharge.... but hardley ever... only when cleaning their eyes... But I've never heard of the yellow discharge. Then the crust around his eyes, could is be URI? Sorry, not too familiar with the medical stuff...

Well, thinking about it, it was more white than yellow. I think he was just cleaning his eyes. He only got the crust once the white stuff had hardened. Btw, Ascot sleeping with his eyes closed. I hardly get to see him sleeping! So cute. My stupid camera is out of batter so I cant take a pic =(

Lol, I'm sorry you can't take a pic. Hehe. Well, I'm not sure but it's probably nothing to worry about.

When the pigs groom their noses, their eyes often get irritated and causes a white liquid from the eye ball to appear. If you don't wipe it off it normally just absorbs back into the eye and hardens. If it keeps coming back I would worry, but if he is just grooming it normally means nothing.

Oh no, I didn't wipe it off. After I typed the message, most of it had formed a crust. I'll wipe that off

The white liquid is actually grooming fluid the pigs use to groom themselves. It can come from the nose or the eyes. If your pig has a lot of this fluid coming from the eye when not grooming and it is crusting up, it is possible they may have a blocked tear duct.

<<If your pig has a lot of this fluid coming from the eye when not grooming and it is crusting up, it is possible they may have a blocked tear duct.>>

Or a URI. Make sure you are weighing regularly and watching for other signs of illness . . . hopefully, just cleaning fluid, but keep an eye on it . . .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.