Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eye Question

penpal

Cavy Slave
Yesterday after cleaning cage and trimming nails, I noticed that my older bore Jackson now has one black eye and the other is turning white,cloudy,grey....Is he going blind in one eye....I brought him home from the shelter six months ago and his eyes were always fine. My question is .... is it blindness or is there something else going on ... I would prefer to not go running off to the vet if I can.... Thanks

Why don't you want to go to the vet?

It could be an eye injury, cause by something like a bit of hay poking in to it, or something lodging under the eyelids. Their eyes quickly form a white protective layer in response to trauma. If it is that you need to be asbolutely sure that whatever caused the injury is out of the eye (I'd inspect it and then flush it with a sterile saline solution) and make sure that there aren't any significant scratches to the surface of the eye. Otherwise it could get infected which can be quite serious. If you're not sure what you're looking for or if you can see something lodged in his eye, the vet really would be the best call.

Cataracts can develop, usually in older cavies, but the onset of those is usually more gradual.

Thank you for your advice ....I will give it a closer look and see if a trip to the vet is the next step for my cavies health.

My guinea pigs eye did that once, but a closer look made it clear it was a tiny peice of saw dust iritating it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.