Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Eye Injury or URI!?!?

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs Zelda we have been having some concerns with lately about her having a URI. She has been to two different vets that told us she did not have one and to just try steam therapy with her for her cough. Tonight I noticed she has some milky looking almost crusty stuff around her left eye only and she keeps wanting to close it. Would this be an eye injury or uri? Should I take her to the vet?! I don't know what to do!

I'd take her to the vet -- eye injuries can be serious, and she may have hay stuck somewhere under her eyelid. You can try wiping the eye with a soft cotton ball that's wet with artificial tears, but that likely won't do anything other than temporarily making her more comfortable.

One crusty eye that the pig keeps trying to close generally isn't a sign of an URI -- in that case, you'd probably see crusts in both eyes, and the pig wouldn't be trying to close them.

Alright, as for the couching though. The steam therapy does help but it only helps as long as we do it several times a day. We stopped for only one day and she was back to coughing!

Some vets have recommended nebulization for guinea pigs. A chamber is pretty easy to make for them, but nebulizers are expensive, unless they've got one they'd let you rent or borrow.

One of the problems with GPs and URIs is that their nasal passages are so narrow, and sometimes you need to get the medicine up into their noses and sinuses to have it be effective. I've had sinus infections that wouldn't clear up without using a nebulizer to get the medicine into them.

If the coughing is coming back when you stop the steam treatments, I'd say something is going on in there that needs some attention. I just don't know what.

I called the vet and asked her and she recommended antibiotics but since im new to the area i havent checked out vets yet here and dont know who would be recommended or even what the cost would be.

You can google exotic vets in New Orleans and find a few. There's also the one I told you about in Petal. Or, LSU has a vet school -- you could call them and ask if they know of anybody. Or PM VoodooJoint -- she's the only person on here from South Louisiana that I can think of.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.