Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Eye Infection?

CharlieP

Cavy Slave
I just noticed today that my 6 month old guinea pig had a crusty left eye and squinted a bit. He wiped it off himself and he squinted less but he's still squinting. He's still active and seems fine other than that.

I can't take him to a vet today but I might be able to take him to one tomorrow on sunday if I can find one that's open on sundays. Does anyone know what's wrong and what I can do for him?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Most likely it's an upper respiratory infection. It could possibly be tear duct related. Only a vet will be able to tell you but he does need seen by a vet. URI's are fatal if left untreated.

CharlieP

Cavy Slave
Most likely it's an upper respiratory infection. It could possibly be tear duct related. Only a vet will be able to tell you but he does need seen by a vet. URI's are fatal if left untreated.

I hope it isn't that. Will he still be okay tomorrow when I can take him to the vet? I tried cleaning out his eye, hasn't done anything yet. There hasn't been any crust at all since I first saw it on him. Just the squint (which isn't as bad but still there).

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
He should be ok until tomorrow, just keep a good eye on him. I would take him to the vet to make sure that he does not have a URI though.

CharlieP

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info, guys. Also noticed that some of his poop smells, not the hard poop but the watery poop.

Uh, I looked it up myself, silly question. Nvm guys. Smelly poop is derived from bacteria within the body which is natural to have.

Last edited:

CharlieP

Cavy Slave
Just to update on my Mister's (my guinea pig) status -- his left eye hasnt developed anymore crustiness though it's still squinting. I did notice that the left eye is a bit watery.

Seems like allergies or an eye infection? Hope he'll still be okay tomorrow.

scarlett

Cavy Slave
A few weeks ago I thought one of my boys had an eye infection as his one eye was squinty looking (no fluid or crust). I monitored it all day (it was a Sunday) and within some hours it was back to normal. I think he poked his eye on a stemmy piece of hay - this was when I had Kaytee hay and the KMs had not yet arrived. No further problems luckily.

I hope your piggie is ok!

CharlieP

Cavy Slave
Me too :<

I noticed his left eye was okay for a bit, squint was pretty much gone. The next time I looked at him he started squinting again. Hmm...

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Generally the poo from guinea pigs should not smell bad nor should it be watery. That is another indication that your pig is ill.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.