Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Eye infection/Possible URI

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone and good morning. I'm really worried about my cuy as JUST recently she's been acting different and sounding different as well. She's still extremely energetic and has no problems with eating, drinking water, running around. She's an extremely happy guinea pig as can be! But it is my job as a parent to notice signs and be there for my girls. I need to know if this is iritis or something else (URI related). From my understanding Guinea pigs can get Iritis but it's called something else. I myself get iritis from time to time but get it treated immediately as I'm diabetic, and non treatment can cause me to get permanent loss in my vision. However, I have a few questions. Is it possible to pass Iritis or human eye infections to guinea pigs? Is it possible for guinea pigs to pass this onto other cage mates? What do you guys think this is. Regardless I'm worried and will be taking my angel to the vet today. Her name is Sushi. Here are some pictures along with other concerns.

20140117 064414 HDR
20140117 064423 HDR
20140117 064633
20140117 064718
20140117 064859

I tried to take the best pictures as I could but she's the only one of the herd that's wild and never likes to be still. Thus her cuy blood. With these pictures, are there things I have to be concerned about other than her eye?
On the last picture, it's really hard to see or notice without any more light but she seems to have something attached. It's similar to when our eyes get sick and we have white fluids becoming solid, coming out of the eye. Only she has one. On the non-eye related pictures.. Is that normal? Now, I do take care of my girls and I clean their cage almost every day, via vacuuming their poop, replacing bedding if need be. But I totally change their fleece and complete bedding once a week. I had given Sushi a bath 3 weeks ago and somehow she managed to get her fur looking like that. When she pee's it looks normal. I do catch her sneezing quite a bit which leads me to believe she has slight URI but I don't notice any discharge or fluids in her nose. What do you guys think?

Editing/Adding: I wanted to point out one more thing. On some of the pictures I turned on my phone's light but couldn't keep her steady, because the moment I turned on the kitchen light she started whining which led me to believe the light is hurting her eye. Her other eye seems and looks fine. I couldn't keep the light on for too long

Last edited:

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I'd also like to say that Sushi's eyes are different colors. Her right eye is lighter blue, white. Her left eye is Dark blue with no visible white.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd think it would be painful, therefore worth a vet visit, whatever it is.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I made an appointment immediately once the hospital opened. I have her here with me and surprisingly she's calm and not running around. She seems to whine when there's a certain amount of light. I was wondering if any others had experienced this before or had issues with their piggies fur. Like I said, she recently had a bath and somehow managed to look like she soiled herself and fur. I'd hate to give her another bath as I don't want to run the risk of causing any damage to her skin and or run the risk of her getting sick.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Just posting an update but My sushi has finally recovered. She's back to pop corning, and being entirely and completely silly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.