Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs euthanization

jadzia

Cavy Slave
I wasn't certain where else to stick this depressing question...

Has anyone here had to take a piggie for a final vet visit?
How much should it cost? I've been calling around places and am feeling a bit shocked.

My girl is at a point where she's starting to have mobility issues and I feel I need to do something...but, you know, I don't want them to drain my funds if it's not needed.

Please forgive me if I sound harsh, but money should not be an issue if a critter is suffering.

Have you had a vet tell you she is at her end?

I have to second Dee, if she's suffering you need to do whatever you can to put her down humanely and not make her suffer. I had my piggy put down this morning, it was $100, but my vet is pricey, I live in California where everything is pricey and I wanted the whole thing i.e. sedatives at home plus gas anesthesia, followed by the final injection.

Please don't let her suffer, please borrow the money if you have to to put her out of her misery. Please!

Call the humane society or SPCA, they might be able to help out or at least direct you to the cost effective vets they know.

It depends on your vet and location. I use to live in the country the vet there never charged me to put down small animals. Now that I live in the city things are much more pricey all the way around. If you have a regular vet that you normally go to, see if you can talk them down. You need to do it regardless if it is time.

Please forgive me if I sound harsh, Dee, but the idea that money is not an issue is exactly how vets drive up prices and trick animal lovers into paying them. Obviously, money is secondary to comfort, but you should feel NO shame in calling around. I recently had a boar neutered. My ex-vet wanted $350. She acted like she loved my little guy even more than I did (seemed kinda fake to me...). I ended up calling about 20 vets. I picked a vet that charged $150, did an AMAZING job, and was very friendly and knowledgeable. I'm sorry for your little piggie, jadzia, and I hope you and your girl find peace soon!

I had a cat euthanized last fall -- cost me $63, I think.

Obviously her suffering comes before money, but I see no reason to get fleeced just because a vet thinks they can make an easy buck out of me in my time of grief and stress. I've never had to have a companion animal put down before, so this is very new to me.

I had a coworker who has had large dogs put down for around 60, and she said her vets went off of weight. So it was a surprise when I call around and get told 100.

I once was at an emergency clinic at 3:00 am with my dying hamster when I was sold POISONED bedding from a petsmart. They were going to charge me 75$ to put him down because after 300 dollars of tests and treatment there was nothing they could do. They put him down but felt so bad for me they never ended up charging me for the actual euthanasia. So I'd expect to pay around 75 dollars no matter what.

You don't need an exotic vet to put down your guinea pig, just a kind and caring one. Try calling the vet your friend used. Most places go off of weight. The vet I use to work for started at 50 dollars for 0-10 lbs.

This morning I realized that had I given a bit more information that perhaps I wouldn't have upset a couple of the members here.

She is definitely not currently suffering or is in pain. Were there any sign that she were suffering then I would take her to the nearest vet with no thought of cost. At this point I am doing what needs to be done before she starts to suffer, which I know will be soon if I wait too much longer.

I do, indeed, have enough set aside for medical care, but also have other animals to consider. God forbid if something were to happen to one of them right after I put her down I would not want to be short on funds because I overpaid for this service.

I do want to thank you all for your answers in giving me a rough estimate. I decided to go with my normal vet. I'll be saying goodbye to her tomorrow afternoon.

Hey there. Another idea would be to contact a local humane society in your area. Many of them offer low-cost euthanasia services. Sometimes you are allowed to be with your pet when they pass, and sometimes you aren't, but they can do it kindly and humanely, either way.

A euthanasia fee for small pets at my vet is $41, but keep in mind that you may also have to have an "exam" for the animal prior to euthanasia - I know in my state (Oregon) a vet cannot euthanize an animal if the animal hasn't had a vet visit within the past year, so sometimes it ends up being more expensive because of that.

Best of luck to you with this tough decision.

I understand your position @jadzia. With all the money I poured into my pigs the last two months with vet visits, my Care Credit is racked so high now I don't know what I'd do if one of my dogs needed emergency care, so I definitely understand where you are coming from (and truthfully I think most of it could have been avoided had I just stuck with my regular vet which angers me, but what's done is done). It looks like I'm a little late on this thread, I was going to say it could probably run you between $40 - $95 (I was quoted $95 by an emergency vet once!). So sorry about this difficult decision you've had to make. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

My local humane society charges $15 to euthanize small animal (hamster, mouse, guinea pig, chinchilla). Another $10 if you do not take the body. They also offer cremation service for $75 for pets under 2 lbs.

Please forgive me if I sound harsh, Dee, but the idea that money is not an issue is exactly how vets drive up prices and trick animal lovers into paying them. Obviously, money is secondary to comfort, but you should feel NO shame in calling around. I recently had a boar neutered. My ex-vet wanted $350. She acted like she loved my little guy even more than I did (seemed kinda fake to me...). I ended up calling about 20 vets. I picked a vet that charged $150, did an AMAZING job, and was very friendly and knowledgeable. I'm sorry for your little piggie, jadzia, and I hope you and your girl find peace soon!

I never implied calling around was wrong. I do the same thing, foolish not to. :)

This morning I realized that had I given a bit more information that perhaps I wouldn't have upset a couple of the members here.

She is definitely not currently suffering or is in pain. Were there any sign that she were suffering then I would take her to the nearest vet with no thought of cost. At this point I am doing what needs to be done before she starts to suffer, which I know will be soon if I wait too much longer.

I do, indeed, have enough set aside for medical care, but also have other animals to consider. God forbid if something were to happen to one of them right after I put her down I would not want to be short on funds because I overpaid for this service.

I do want to thank you all for your answers in giving me a rough estimate. I decided to go with my normal vet. I'll be saying goodbye to her tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for giving more info. I am sorry if I upset you, I did not mean to. Now your story makes sense. :)

Saying goodbye to a animal friend is never easy. I hope everything goes well for you.

My vet charges about $140 for the pigs. I have found cheaper places but I like how caring this place is, when we had Charlie PTS my vet cried along with us. He used to call Charlie his 'muscle man' because we were treating his Lymphoma with Steroid injections. For me, it's not the price that matters, but how they treat you, and your pet in their final moments that is the most important thing.

I've had to have a couple of my mice PTS as well, they only charged me for a 'goldfish' instead of 'small exotic'. A goldfish only costs $25 to have PTS.

If you have a nice, regular vet, they might waive some fees if you honestly explain you are in a tough spot. My vet waived the exam fee, cancelled all her morning appointments, and held me while I cried.
She took off the drug free and exam fee, and then I just had to pay for cremation and an urn. It cost me $138. Consider a Care Credit Card, that's how I could afford it.
:(

But, just a final note - guinea pigs must be euthanized by heart stick. It is extremely painful to see. When I had to let Gigabyte go because he seizured so hard he got brain damage (this came out of nowhere), when they had to stick him, it hurt me too. I felt like I got the heart stick too. I cried so hard and held him until he passed, I tried to let him see me smile one last time and hear comforting words.

It's not easy.

R.I.P. Gigabyte (2010 - 1/23/2012) :'(

If you have a nice, regular vet, they might waive some fees if you honestly explain you are in a tough spot. My vet waived the exam fee, cancelled all her morning appointments, and held me while I cried.
She took off the drug free and exam fee, and then I just had to pay for cremation and an urn. It cost me $138. Consider a Care Credit Card, that's how I could afford it.
:(

But, just a final note - guinea pigs must be euthanized by heart stick. It is extremely painful to see. When I had to let Gigabyte go because he seizured so hard he got brain damage (this came out of nowhere), when they had to stick him, it hurt me too. I felt like I got the heart stick too. I cried so hard and held him until he passed, I tried to let him see me smile one last time and hear comforting words.

It's not easy.

R.I.P. Gigabyte (2010 - 1/23/2012) :'(

I know this is too late for Gigabyte, but any vet who PTS *any* animal in this fashion should be strung up. My vet will sedate them in a gas chamber and then do the injection (just a regular injection under a skin fold) I've been in the same room with two of my pigs when they were PTS and they felt no pain. Gigabyte, I'd find a new vet because no caring vet that I know of would subject an animal to such a painful and torturous death.

My Snicks was sedated at home, given gas to put him under at the vet's, and only after he was under did they stick him in the belly :( His heart beat another 3 min, but she assured me he couldn't feel it, he didn't move at all. I definitely prefer this 3 step method.

Yeah, I would definitely say it's worth "shopping around" to find out how a particular vet clinic will euthanise a small animal like a guinea pig. I would always pay more for a more humane method.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.