Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Eri

I recently read that large, fluid-filled cysts do not respond to Cystorelin, but the small, follicular (developed around the egg follicles) do.

I understand your concerns about surgery, but a large cyst can rupture and the pig can bleed to death. If it were my pig, and if I could find a very experienced exotic vet who's done a lot of guinea pig spays, I'd have her spayed.
 
Thank you for your response. I feel like any decision I make is going to be the wrong decision. Have you ever had a guinea pig with an ovarian cyst? I’m really scared and worried. I feel like I need to do something soon. I don’t know why I feel this way and I don’t know what I should do. I just feel that something needs to be done sooner rather than later. I would like to talk with my regular vet and the bc exotics vet and see what they think is best. Probably need to have my daughter involved too since Eri is her guinea pig.
 
Without reading back, how old is she?
 
I left a message for the board certified vet’s vet tech to call me back. I’m still unsure of what to do. Doing nothing is not an option anymore.

Eri was in pain over the weekend and I have her back on metacam. It’s helping but it’s not a good long term solution. I’m thinking hormones are a no go. From what I’m reading and what I was told here, they won’t help. That leaves me with draining and/or spaying. I’ve explained here about why my daughter and I are not too keen on spaying. Draining could potentially help her, but the cyst could fill up again in a matter of days. Spaying would be a permanent fix but I fear losing Eri in the process. I just want my Eri to be ok and not hurt. I want her to live to be a grumpy little old lady who screams at me when she smells watermelon.

Whether we go with draining or spaying I intend on having the board certified vet do it. My regular vet is wonderful but she is not as experienced with guinea pig surgery. She could spay rabbits all day blindfolded but they’re not as finicky with anesthesia as guinea pigs are. She consults with this other vet regularly, so I trust my regular vet very much. Even she recommends that the other vet do the surgery. I know that I’ll have the best vet available probably in the whole state but things can happen beyond anyone’s control.

It isn’t just me that needs convincing, as I’ve said. It’s also my daughter. She would be devastated if we lost Eri and so would I. I would blame myself for it too. I appreciate any responses and would like to hear about any experiences any of you have had with spaying, draining, and/or hormones. I want the best for Eri. We love her very much!
 
I have to say this up front. I have no personal experience with sows. I have had boars for 15 years.

I will agree with you that doing nothing is not an option. From what you have stated here, I do believe that spaying is the best option, although I also understand your trepidation. The idea here is to look for as permanent a solution as possible, and the best one for Eri.

You are correct that the cyst may fill up again within days. This is also not optimal, and a recurrence even a week, month or year down the road isn't either. She is only 3, and potentially has a lot of life left in her.

Losing a pig during surgery isn't a given, but its also not out of the realm of possibility. The alternative is to either risk losing her (believe me, I don't take that lightly. I have lost several pigs over the last several years and I still grieve each and every one of them. I know that devastation)
OR risk having her in constant pain. In my opinion constant pain isn't an option, either. It isn't fair to her, or you or your daughter. If you were to lose her during surgery...... It could almost be seen as a blessing. I know how hard that sounds but after watching several pigs go through various different illnesses, it may be kinder that way.
 
And if I do nothing she’ll be in pain and the cyst could rupture, which could be fatal. I have a lot to think about. I’m hoping to talk with the vet that I’m going to ask to do either the spay or drainage. She wasn’t pushy at all about any option, so that tells me she isn’t just trying to make money. She seems to genuinely care about animals judging from meeting her a few weeks ago. I’m hoping that she can help me and my daughter make the right decision.
 
And if I do nothing she’ll be in pain and the cyst could rupture, which could be fatal. I have a lot to think about. I’m hoping to talk with the vet that I’m going to ask to do either the spay or drainage. She wasn’t pushy at all about any option, so that tells me she isn’t just trying to make money. She seems to genuinely care about animals judging from meeting her a few weeks ago. I’m hoping that she can help me and my daughter make the right decision.
Please, keep us up to date.
 
Well, I talked with the board certified vet’s vet tech just now. It sounds like I will have to have Eri spayed sooner or later. Draining and/or hormones will only prolong the inevitable. The other problem I’m having is that the board certified vet will not be available until July, so my regular vet, who is wonderful but not AS experienced as the other one, will have to do the surgery. Drainage or hormones will help until July, but that is such a short window of time. I don’t like the idea of putting Eri through so much in such a short time. Now I have to figure out how I’m going to break the news to my daughter.

Doing nothing, nope. The cyst could rupture and we lose her. Drainage, it could come back the next day. Hormones, cyst may not even respond and it ruptures and we lose her. Spaying, we could lose her or she could come through just fine and live a long happy life.

She said I could have some bloodwork done prior to surgery to see if Eri has any underlying issues. I will probably do that if I can talk my daughter into spaying. The way she was talking she made it sound like Eri was at no more or less risk than any other animal or human. I have my doubts about that. She has been under anesthesia before and was fine. It was just for a full body X-ray so not the same. She was fluffed up for a day and was fine afterwards.

Why does this have to be so hard and scary? I’m in tears right now because I’m so scared that we’ll lose her. If I do nothing I know we will lose her eventually and possibly soon.
 
Just so you know, the kind of anesthesia used for something like an x-ray or a dental trimming is not the same as the kind used for surgery. It's not as deep, uses different meds, and lasts a lot longer. That's not to say that she would have problems if she has to have it, but comparing it to what she got with an x-ray is comparing apples and oranges.
 
Just so you know, the kind of anesthesia used for something like an x-ray or a dental trimming is not the same as the kind used for surgery. It's not as deep, uses different meds, and lasts a lot longer. That's not to say that she would have problems if she has to have it, but comparing it to what she got with an x-ray is comparing apples and oranges.
Oh, ok. I didn’t know that. :cry:

Well, my daughter and I talked it over and we are going to go through with the spaying. We are both worried but if the other options are just putting off the inevitable, then we may as well just go ahead and get the surgery done. We’re going to have my regular vet do it so we’re not putting it off. The vet tech mentioned bloodwork that we can have done to check for possible underlying conditions. We plan on having that done also.

I’ll be calling or texting the vet tomorrow. Thank you for putting up with me and for your help. I’ll update when I have appointments. I hope she’ll be okay after all of this is over. She’s my little buddy and she seems to love me too. She trusts me. She’s trusting me to do what’s best for her. I hope I’m doing the best for her. I love my Eri. And my Eevee and Chai.
 
I have an appointment Wednesday morning for her pre op bloodwork. This is getting real. I’m getting nervous. I know it’s probably the best thing I can do for her. She will at least have a chance but I’m scared I’ll lose her no matter what I do.
 
I’m wishing all the best for you and Eri.
 
We are all here watching, waiting and rooting for her and for you and your daughter. I know all too well that crippling anxiety that overtakes your existence when one of the furry children is ill.

Just know that we are here, and we do understand. The best of wishes for Eri and her speedy recovery, and continued good health afterward.
 
She had her bloodwork done today. They sedated her a little bit so she wouldn’t be stressed. She’s fluffed up right now. We went ahead and scheduled her spay appointment for this Tuesday so she’ll be on the schedule as long as the bloodwork comes back ok.
 
The test results are in. Eri’s results are good! She has very mild liver elevation, which the vet suspects may be from her ovaries pushing on it. She didn’t see anything in her bloodwork that would indicate that she shouldn’t have the surgery, so I will be taking her in Tuesday morning with some hay, treats, and maybe a little watermelon. All the vet will have to do is stick the watermelon under Eri’s nose and she’ll come right out of anesthesia. I feel a little better knowing that there are no obvious problems but I’m of course still anxious about the surgery and recovery.
 
That’s good news. It just makes a good chance of a successful surgery that much better. Sending good wishes to you both!
 
I know today is the day.........and we are all waiting with our fingers crossed for Eri. Please keep us updated on how she's doing.

Positive thoughts and energy for all of you.
 
I dropped her off early this morning. I should hear something in about an hour or two. I’ve said a couple of prayers today.
 

Similar threads

Mamabug
Replies
4
Views
823
Mamabug
Mamabug
Top