Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Eri

If Eri is eating slower I would give her a couple of feeding times on her own. That way she still is part of the group but is getting something extra to help her catch up. You are taking her out for Critical Care feedings anyway.

Females do not have menstrual bleeding. Sows will go into season every 15 to 17 days. If they bleed then there is usually a problem with their system of reproducing. What seems to be blood in the pee might look like blood when tested, then turn out to be free blood. It’s a colouring called porphyrins. It is a natural dye that will test negative but may be the start of a cystitis or an infection that you don’t see the symptoms for yet. Usually the symptoms that are consistent yet until the guinea pig is extremely ill. The vet needs to see if the blood blood is coming from the pee, reproductive tract or anus.

If Eri is eating slower I would give her a couple of feeding times on her own. That way she still is part of the group but is getting something extra to help her catch up. You are taking her out for Critical Care feedings anyway.
Only if she already has been taken out. I would stop as so as possible though just to keep the herd calmer.

Is your cage space large enough for three? They should have a minimum of 10.5 square feet but more would be better. Also, all the hideys should have 2 exits so no one can get trapped and injured.

I just think since you had such thorough medical exams and found no health reason for the weight loss, then behavioral or environmental reasons should be explored.

Is your cage space large enough for three? They should have a minimum of 10.5 square feet but more would be better. Also, all the hideys should have 2 exits so no one can get trapped and injured.

I just think since you had such thorough medical exams and found no health reason for the weight loss, then behavioral or environmental reasons should be explored.
It is. It’s a 2x4 C&C. I’d love to expand it to at least a 2x5 but there’s not enough room.

Eri does this as well. I had my vet look at her and she said everything was fine. She felt her uterus and ovaries and everything was normal. She acknowledged that guinea pigs don’t normally bleed during their heat but Eri does.
You need to get her checked by somewhere else if they said bleeding is normal. This could be your problem. I have had more than 100 guinea pigs pass through me and even more through the rescue and none have had a period. They were all irregular bleeding. I stated in another comment what this was.

You need to get her checked by somewhere else if they said bleeding is normal. This could be your problem. I have had more than 100 guinea pigs pass through me and even more through the rescue and none have had a period. They were all irregular bleeding. I stated in another comment what this was.
Well, no, she didn’t say it was normal, just that her ovaries and uterus felt fine. She bleeds a little bit during heat and we never could determine why. She acknowledged that it wasn’t normal. Can you tell me more about this? What was the treatment?

Well, no, she didn’t say it was normal, just that her ovaries and uterus felt fine. She bleeds a little bit during heat and we never could determine why. She acknowledged that it wasn’t normal. Can you tell me more about this? What was the treatment?
x-rays or urine samples don’t rule out reproductive or IC. If your vet says this is normal, you absolutely need to find a new one.

x-rays or urine samples don’t rule out reproductive or IC. If your vet says this is normal, you absolutely need to find a new one.
I know. She did not say it was normal.

Daily painkillers, diet management and glucosamine of an IC. It affects the glucosamine layer of the bladder and is painful when urine touched bladder tissue.

With a reproductive system issue she may need to be spayed.

Ask your vet what they think it is, then take action accordingly.

Daily painkillers, diet management and glucosamine of an IC. It affects the glucosamine layer of the bladder and is painful when urine touched bladder tissue.

With a reproductive system issue she may need to be spayed.

Ask your vet what they think it is, then take action accordingly.
I will. I’m looking into finding another vet. There are a few, I’m finding out, but I don’t know how good they are. I’m on my second vet now. They may say they treat them, but that doesn’t mean they’re any good. My current vet I thought was pretty good, but now I think I at least need to get a second opinion.

I hope she doesn’t need to be spayed. Money is an issue but I also worry about the risk. Would ultrasound pick up a reproductive issue? They did an ultrasound on her bladder during her first two visits and the first one showed some crystals. Second one showed her urine was more normal, diluted. I switched to bottled water. Apparently our tap water has a lot of calcium. Don’t know if ultrasound would have detected IC.

I will. I’m looking into finding another vet. There are a few, I’m finding out, but I don’t know how good they are. I’m on my second vet now. They may say they treat them, but that doesn’t mean they’re any good. My current vet I thought was pretty good, but now I think I at least need to get a second opinion.

I hope she doesn’t need to be spayed. Money is an issue but I also worry about the risk. Would ultrasound pick up a reproductive issue? They did an ultrasound on her bladder during her first two visits and the first one showed some crystals. Second one showed her urine was more normal, diluted. I switched to bottled water. Apparently our tap water has a lot of calcium. Don’t know if ultrasound would have detected IC.
Hard water needs to be filtered like you have done. I don’t know about ultra sounds though. Please keep me updated, I would like to know what happens because I am learning also.

Hugs

Hard water needs to be filtered like you have done. I don’t know about ultra sounds though. Please keep me updated, I would like to know what happens because I am learning also.

Hugs
I found another vet. She is supposed to be pretty savvy. There was another one also, but she only works part time so her availability is limited. The part timer is board certified for exotic pets but the vet I’m taking her to this week consults weekly with the board certified vet. Eri’s appointment is Wednesday morning. I found both of them on the House Rabbit Society page. I found the House Rabbit Society website, if I remember correctly, on guinealynx. I plan to bring up the bleeding during heat because that is definitely not normal and I would like to find out why she does it. I don’t know if it is related to her weight loss or not but maybe I can at least find out what it is.

She’s maintaining her weight still. That’s not terrible, but it’s not good either. With her getting Critical Care, she should be gaining if the pain meds was all she needed. The new vet is going to be getting Eri’s records, and I’m thinking she’ll probably want to do blood work.

I found another vet. She is supposed to be pretty savvy. There was another one also, but she only works part time so her availability is limited. The part timer is board certified for exotic pets but the vet I’m taking her to this week consults weekly with the board certified vet. Eri’s appointment is Wednesday morning. I found both of them on the House Rabbit Society page. I found the House Rabbit Society website, if I remember correctly, on guinealynx. I plan to bring up the bleeding during heat because that is definitely not normal and I would like to find out why she does it. I don’t know if it is related to her weight loss or not but maybe I can at least find out what it is.

She’s maintaining her weight still. That’s not terrible, but it’s not good either. With her getting Critical Care, she should be gaining if the pain meds was all she needed. The new vet is going to be getting Eri’s records, and I’m thinking she’ll probably want to do blood work.
That’s great news! Eri is so lucky to have a hooman like you!

So glad to hear this. It is difficult to get adult guinea pigs to gain weight. She’s still young and has a good chance to put some weight back on. Good luck at the vet tomorrow!

So I went to the vet today. She consulted with the other vet, who happens to also be a radiologist for animals. I am so glad she did! Eri has a double ear infection. The vet did say that it wouldn’t have been overly obvious to her either as far as the X-ray goes when I questioned how my old vet could’ve missed that. Eri hasn’t had a head tilt so I didn’t see it either. That would probably explain the slower eating. I noticed that she eats a little slower than her cage mates do so hopefully this explains everything. We will see in time I have noticed her ears flap from time to time also but didn’t know what it was. She swabbed her ears and Eri just loved that. Not really. She screamed at the vet.

On the bleeding during heat. She couldn’t confirm or rule out the possibility of a reproductive issue, like an ovarian cyst. She did an ultrasound on Eri’s abdominal area and couldn’t see anything. Eri has a lot of gas, so it was hard to see anything. She said the gas isn’t excessive so it wasn’t alarming. It’s something to watch and if it gets worse then we may need to consider spaying. She said she was willing to spay her, but the other vet, who is board certified, would be even better, as she has done a lot of spays on guinea pigs. The vet I saw today regularly spays rabbits, but said that guinea pigs are more finicky when it comes to anesthesia. So if we needed to spay Eri, then she could get me in to have the other vet do it. The bleeding during heat has been going on for well over a year and my old vet didn’t find anything glaringly obviously wrong, so I’ve been and will continue to monitor the situation.

I will continue the pain meds. She also sent us home with a week worth of antibiotics (I think it’s baytril) and ordered a prescription for antibiotic ear drops that have to be compounded and shipped to me from another state. She didn’t feel that the ear drops she has on hand for dogs and cats are safe for guinea pigs. She wanted to get Eri started on something to start knocking the infection out, so that is why she gave us baytril. I’ll be taking her back in two to three weeks so she can recheck Miss Eri, sooner if she gets worse. I’ll also continue the Critical Care, much to Eri’s dismay.

So I think I may have found a new vet. Or two. Only thing I forgot to ask was about emergency vets for exotic pets. I not only have 3 guinea pigs, but I also have 3 parakeets.

That’s great! I like how two vets work at that office and can bounce ideas and treatments off of each other before doing anything. That’s crazy how she had no head tilt! Glad you know now though! What a lucky guinea pig you are Eri!

Sounds like a really good vet, which makes all the difference. Ear infections are awful. My little Gidget had chronic ear infections, head tilt, and then back-to-back upper respiratory infections.

Keep a close eye on her and hopefully you can get this cleared up.

Eri still has not gained weight. She’s maintaining her weight with the Critical Care. I stopped the baytril after a week per the vet’s instructions to give it to her for a week. The ear drops came Tuesday, so I started them Tuesday night. I worry that I’m not getting them in her ears enough because she shakes her head so much. She tries to run away. She may be developing diarrhea so I’m going to give her a probiotic. I don’t know if ear drops would affect her like that but I keep benebac on hand at all times just for situations like this.

I made a follow up appointment with her new vet for this Wednesday morning and hope to remember to bring her ear drops so she can give them to her. Maybe she can show me the best way to get them in Eri’s ears. My daughter says that Eri is acting like she feels better. She says she’s running around, jumping, etc. She screams at me on occasion, demanding food, which I am glad to hear. So hopefully she is on the mend. I just wish her weight would reflect that. That part leaves me feeling discouraged. I don’t know if there is anything else I need to do or stop doing. She still doesn’t eat as fast as her two chunky cage mates and her ears are probably still hurting her. Her weight is still in the considered normal range but it’s not her normal.

I have to keep reminding myself that there is no telling how long she has had this double ear infection. Her previous vet missed it back in mid June. Her new vet discovered it with the help of another vet about two weeks ago, so it is a nasty one I’m sure. I don’t know how long it’s been going on, nor how long it will take to get her back to normal.