Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Eri

Mamabug

Cavy Slave
My old thread got closed due to inactivity. My guinea pig Eri lost over 100 grams last month and has not gained it back yet. She’s gained maybe 20 grams back. I’ve been to the vet four times and so far the only thing that has happened is she is on pain medication. I suspected a UTI at first. I saw this one vet and he was stuck on it HAD to be a dental issue. He looked in her mouth and saw no issues. He had an instrument that allowed him to see all of her teeth. He wanted to sedate her to X-ray her teeth. I told him no. I saw blood in her pee, or it could have been something she ate, I don’t know. He seemed to discount what I was saying which annoyed me.
He did a urinalysis but couldn’t find any sign of infection. He went ahead and gave me baytril and metacam. She started gaining weight. I was also giving her Critical Care. The pain meds were only for a week, and when they ran out, the weight went down. Third trip to the vet, I saw a different vet in the practice, who I normally see and like her a lot more. She got a cyst out of Eri’s neck and gave her a dose of metacam.

I start noticing that if I touch the sides of her abdominal area, near her hind legs, she jumps. My other two don’t acknowledge when I do that with them, which leads me to believe that she is hurting. So back to the vet we went. They sedated her and did a full body X-ray. It revealed nothing. They said it could be early onset arthritis or a soft tissue injury. They sent us home with pain medication.

I’m still giving her Critical Care and medication. She’s mostly maintaining her weight but that’s it. I don’t know what to do at this point. I can’t keep giving her Critical Care indefinitely. She hates it. I can’t keep running back and forth to the vet. I can’t afford it and it’s not even helping. Any ideas? There aren’t many options for vets that see guinea pigs around here, so please no comment about changing vets. I only know of two and I was not impressed with the other one. Has anyone else dealt with this before?

I ordered a different flavor of Critical Care, ordered oat hay, and am trying orchard grass hay for them. I thought maybe she’d like it more and it would encourage her to eat more. Eri is only 2, so she’s not an old lady by any means. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I’m frustrated and worried. Sure, she’s maintaining her weight and is not really underweight, but her weight is not normal for her. Please help. She’s in the 950’s her normal is 1050’s.

Moderator edit: Previous medical thread for this pig can be found here:

Anything over 50 grams is a concern. She needs to be weighed daily, at the same time, and before you feed her. If you are syringe feeding her, and she is still losing weigh she needs to be feed more. The gain of 20 grams does not mean anything really, their eight can vary by 30 grams in one day. You can try adding banana or mush strawberries into the critical care to make it taste better. What cut is the Timothy hay? Orchard is also good if she likes it, while it can be used short term, you would need to go back to Timothy. I have had guinea pigs who will actually stop eating hay because they know they are going to be feed and it tastes better. 1050 is big for a girl, 950 is more normal. She could just large though and that’s completely healthy for her. How does her hips feel when you touch them? Any problem like this can happen at any age, but since she is younger and fully grown, she has a better chance of recovery than an older GP. What degree does your vet have. They need to specialize in exotic and pocket pets, and I know you said no notes on it but they have to be to be an able to properly diagnose and treat her. What medication is she on? Is it dog or cat medication?

A visual exam of her teeth without being sedated is not a complete exam. Is she eating normally and is she able to pull food into her mouth and chew? Are her front teeth top and bottom straight and aligned? If so, it may not be a tooth problem. A sedated exam and X-rays would determine if she has overgrown molars, an injury in her mouth, or elongated roots.

If you saw blood in the pen it could be a UTI, or it could be hormonal. Also, their urine turns a watered-down orange-red if they have red leaf lettuce or dandelion greens, so food is a possibility.

When the cyst was removed, was it an infection? You mentioned metacam for pain, did she also get an antibiotic?

If she’s not wild about the Critical Care, you could try making hay and veggie smoothies. When one of mine couldn’t eat properly, I used a Ninja smoothie blender and mixed water, hay, carrots, lettuce, pellets and grass into a mush and put it on a small plate. She was able to eat quite a bit of that and it’s easier than trying to syringe Critical Care.

But you’ll have to find a guinea pig savvy vet to figure this out.

Anything over 50 grams is a concern. She needs to be weighed daily, at the same time, and before you feed her. If you are syringe feeding her, and she is still losing weigh she needs to be feed more. The gain of 20 grams does not mean anything really, their eight can vary by 30 grams in one day. You can try adding banana or mush strawberries into the critical care to make it taste better. What cut is the Timothy hay? Orchard is also good if she likes it, while it can be used short term, you would need to go back to Timothy. I have had guinea pigs who will actually stop eating hay because they know they are going to be feed and it tastes better. 1050 is big for a girl, 950 is more normal. She could just large though and that’s completely healthy for her. How does her hips feel when you touch them? Any problem like this can happen at any age, but since she is younger and fully grown, she has a better chance of recovery than an older GP. What degree does your vet have. They need to specialize in exotic and pocket pets, and I know you said no notes on it but they have to be to be an able to properly diagnose and treat her. What medication is she on? Is it dog or cat medication?

I’m not sure what cut the timothy hay is to be honest. It’s Kaytee forti diet. I bought Oxbow orchard grass yesterday. I plan on buying Oxbow mixed hay if they like the orchard grass well enough.

She’s always been in the 1050 range, well, the past year anyway. My other two girls are heavier than that. Eevee is in the 1100’s, anywhere from 1110-1150 or so. Her weight fluctuates greatly. Chai was 1230 as of Tuesday and she fluctuates too, staying in the 1200’s. I noticed that Eri eats slower than the other two. I don’t know if that’s normally the case or just recently. Her hips don’t feel bony but I definitely feel them more than the other two. Which I would because they’ve always been heavier than Eri. I weigh Eri daily now. Before it was weekly.

I don’t know the exact degree my vet got but she has been with this practice for 13 years. The practice itself claims to have over 20 years experience with exotic pets.

A visual exam of her teeth without being sedated is not a complete exam. Is she eating normally and is she able to pull food into her mouth and chew? Are her front teeth top and bottom straight and aligned? If so, it may not be a tooth problem. A sedated exam and X-rays would determine if she has overgrown molars, an injury in her mouth, or elongated roots.

If you saw blood in the pen it could be a UTI, or it could be hormonal. Also, their urine turns a watered-down orange-red if they have red leaf lettuce or dandelion greens, so food is a possibility.

When the cyst was removed, was it an infection? You mentioned metacam for pain, did she also get an antibiotic?

If she’s not wild about the Critical Care, you could try making hay and veggie smoothies. When one of mine couldn’t eat properly, I used a Ninja smoothie blender and mixed water, hay, carrots, lettuce, pellets and grass into a mush and put it on a small plate. She was able to eat quite a bit of that and it’s easier than trying to syringe Critical Care.

The cyst didn’t appear to be an infection. The vet didn’t send us home with any antibiotics. The only antibiotics we got was previously for a suspected UTI and that was the first vet, who was a bit reluctant to give me that. It was baytril. She gained 86 grams back while on the combination of baytril and pain meds.

They initially did a visual examination of her teeth at the first three visits, but sedated her and did an X-ray of her entire body at the last visit. It revealed nothing.

This vet had some sort of instrument that allowed him to look all in her mouth. Her teeth looked good. He was able to see her molars with it. He was thinking more along the line of underlying dental issues. The X-ray ruled that out.

What do you mean by hormonal blood? Females don’t have menstrual bleeding. Any bitting due to hormones/attitude needs to see a vet also in case it need suturing and to prevent any infection. Spaying and nurturing guinea pigs is only to prevent having babies and will not change your guinea pigs personality. The blood was definitely from the urine?

Last edited:
She’s always been in the 1050 range, well, the past year anyway. My other two girls are heavier than that. Eevee is in the 1100’s, anywhere from 1110-1150 or so. Her weight fluctuates greatly. Chai was 1230 as of Tuesday and she fluctuates too, staying in the 1200’s. I noticed that Eri eats slower than the other two. I don’t know if that’s normally the case or just recently. Her hips don’t feel bony but I definitely feel them more than the other two. Which I would because they’ve always been heavier than Eri. I weigh Eri daily now. Before it was weekly.

I don’t know the exact degree my vet got but she has been with this practice for 13 years. The practice itself claims to have over 20 years experience with exotic pets.
What does the daily diet look like? And are all of your guinea pigs related?

What does the daily diet look like? And are all of your guinea pigs related?
Daily diet consists of Oxbow vitamin C tablets, Kaytee forti-diet timothy hay, added Oxbow orchard grass as of yesterday, Oxbow Cavy Essentials pellets, red leaf or green leaf lettuce, bell peppers, squash, zucchini, carrots, apple, and cucumber. I rotate the apple, carrots, squash, and cucumber so they don’t get those daily. They also get Oxbow apple and banana treats. As far as I know, none of the guinea pigs are related. I got them from Pet Smart. There aren’t any guinea pig rescues around here.

How much water does he drink? ML guess

How much water does he drink? ML guess
I have no idea honestly. It would be hard to determine anyway since I have three of them. I have three of everything in their cage so no fighting over things.

Daily diet consists of Oxbow vitamin C tablets, Kaytee forti-diet timothy hay, added Oxbow orchard grass as of yesterday, Oxbow Cavy Essentials pellets, red leaf or green leaf lettuce, bell peppers, squash, zucchini, carrots, apple, and cucumber. I rotate the apple, carrots, squash, and cucumber so they don’t get those daily. They also get Oxbow apple and banana treats. As far as I know, none of the guinea pigs are related. I got them from Pet Smart. There aren’t any guinea pig rescues around here.
Let’s break this down. I have oxbow vitamin C tablets, my guinea pigs only get them in critical care. They do not need to be feed every day though, neither do pellets. It’s hay and vegetables you need. How much pellets do they get?

If she one slice of green bell pepper and a few Romain leaves are good for daily feeding. You should add one small treat though too. They give minerals that the bell peppers and leaves don’t have.

Also, why did you get orchard hay and oat hay (it’s not bad, just wondering)?

Last edited:
I have no idea honestly. It would be hard to determine anyway since I have three of them. I have three of everything in their cage so no fighting over things.
Water consumption is very important. It’s something that should be discussed when going to the vet. Have you noticed any difference in water levels at all?

Pee would not be red from something they ate. If it’s red, it’s blood. Blood will dry very dark brown. Orange pee is when the urine oxidizes. Pink pee is from when they ate something like extra beetroot.

Is she still losing weigh?

What does the pee and poo look like now?

What do you mean by hormonal blood? Females don’t have menstrual bleeding. Any bitting due to hormones/attitude needs to see a vet also in case it need suturing and to prevent any infection. Spaying and nurturing guinea pigs is only to prevent having babies and will not change your guinea pigs personality. The blood was definitely from the urine?
Actually, a small number of females do have blood spotting during monthly cycles. I had one. Cycles are roughly every 16 days. I took her in for a possible UTI, vet prescribed Baytril, she stopped eating and was headed for gut stasis. I found a cavy-savvy vet who checked her over and said it was hormonal. Sure enough, every 15-16 days she’d spot for a couple days and it would stop. This went on for several months and then quit.

Let’s break this down. I have oxbow vitamin C tablets, my guinea pigs only get them in critical care. They do not need to be feed every day though, neither do pellets. It’s hay and vegetables you need. How much pellets do they get?

If she one slice of green bell pepper and a few Romain leaves are good for daily feeding. You should add one small treat though too. They give minerals that the bell peppers and leaves don’t have.

Also, why did you get orchard hay and oat hay (it’s not bad, just wondering)?
Small amount of pellets. My piggies have always gotten the vitamin C, that’s not new, every vet I’ve seen knows and were fine with it. I just got the orchard and oat hay to try something different, to see if she likes it and if it would encourage her to eat more.

Actually, a small number of females do have blood spotting during monthly cycles. I had one. Cycles are roughly every 16 days. I took her in for a possible UTI, vet prescribed Baytril, she stopped eating and was headed for gut stasis. I found a cavy-savvy vet who checked her over and said it was hormonal. Sure enough, every 15-16 days she’d spot for a couple days and it would stop. This went on for several months and then quit.
Eri does this as well. I had my vet look at her and she said everything was fine. She felt her uterus and ovaries and everything was normal. She acknowledged that guinea pigs don’t normally bleed during their heat but Eri does.