Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids epoxy coated grids? Are they

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
I want to know if epoxy coated grids are safe? A family member is telling that they arent but I think they are fine because that is what my guinea pig cocoa is in now. I told her that cocoa is not sick or dead yet so I think it is fine and that is what the grids are made of on the site store.(this sited

Guess you would have to know exactly what brand/material was used and look up the MSDS (material safety data sheet) I looked up a couple of Dupont powder coats and they seem to not mention any health issues except for the people spraying them if they ingest the dust. Not all powder coatings are epoxy either.

Kristin

I never thought about that. I wonder what cube grids are painted with?

I never thought about that. I wonder what cube grids are painted with?

Most likley powder coated not painted these days, imagine how much waste trying to spray paint something like that, pre-powder coat most wire stuff was vinyl dipped as in dish draining racks now they are powder coated. So unless you have a piggy really likes to chew the bars it 'should'* pose no hazzard.

Kristin

* again not knowing the exact material used or country of origan I can not say for sure, China does not have a great track record for non-toxic things but the price is cheap.

I think most guinea pigs chew the grids now and then. I know that cages are painted with pet materials but grids aren't intended for use by animals so I wonder if anyone has ever scraped any off and had it tested. There's a lot of concern about chemicals in some brands of pellets but I wonder if anyone considered that they could be ingesting harmful chemicals from the grids.

I think most guinea pigs chew the grids now and then. I know that cages are painted with pet materials but grids aren't intended for use by animals so I wonder if anyone has ever scraped any off and had it tested. There's a lot of concern about chemicals in some brands of pellets but I wonder if anyone considered that they could be ingesting harmful chemicals from the grids.

I meant to say pet "safe" materials, not pet materials....

Think this is almost the same as if you have birds don't have any teflon coated pans in the house, they are only toxic if overheated. Powder coat is pretty tough stuff, what little amount may be chewed off minus amount ingested is probably* neglegable. No more than the polypropylene coroplast sheeting would pose a health hazzard. Idealy we would all have a layer of sod grass and natural wood cage but that is not practical in real life so we monitor our pets behavior and remove dangerous objects. Not so sure the old tin and gavenised cages were so healthy either but pets were not dropping like flies in them either.

Kristin

*No data to support this one way or another

I have always wondered about that myself, actually. I also really like what KD006 had to say in post # 7, below. We do all we can, but we can only do so much to protect our sweet babies, you know ?

Idealy we would all have a layer of sod grass and natural wood cage but that is not practical in real life so we monitor our pets behavior and remove dangerous objects.

Exactly. I agree.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.