Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Entertaining my Piggy?!?

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
My piggy has been moping around his cage lately (or, more so than usual). I was thinking maybe he was bored, so i was wondering if maybe i could have some ideas to spice up his daily routine. I spend a lot of time with him, in my lap, and laying next to him and everything, but i have been looking for maybe some toys, or activities for him to do. They can be for him alone in the cage, or supervised by me during floor-time. They only thing that i am asking is that it be not expensive (or not bought at all, if possible), and that it doesn't require a lot of sewing, gluing, etc. I am not very good at crafts!
Thanks for the help!

Whistles used to get this lil play ball from PetsMart.
Twas a cheap and awesome toy for him. It was also ediable. It was made of entirely dried grass and it had a bell inside.
He spent quite a bit of time chewing it and throwing it. And when he started to chew it more than just play with it, I tied it to his cage top/thus began him having tug a war with it.
I have stopped getting it because it went up in prices and it is now a bit too pricey with how fast he goes through em. Now he plays with a kitty bell ball. 69 cents and all the tossing and rolling he could do.

I've also found that anything with bells Whistles loves. His cage mainly has bird toys. made of wood, has plenty of bells and colors. He also has a birdy mirror and loves giving himself kisses xD

Whistles used to get this lil play ball from PetsMart.
Twas a cheap and awesome toy for him. It was also ediable. It was made of entirely dried grass and it had a bell inside.

Be careful with those, I had one my pigs loved it, but Calypso ended up at the vet because a rather thick piece of the dried grass got lodged behind her eye. :(

I buy them the willow stick balls though, it has a walnut inside the middle, and once they get to that I take it out of the cage. Willow chew tunnels are good too.
Veggie ropes hung from end to end in the cage is always fun. Paper bags, cardboard soda box tunnels, cat toys with bells sometimes get a reaction out of my girls, and you can also use some bits of carrot or other veggie and attempt to teach your pig tricks. I have successfully taught Cinnamon to "circle" (spins in a circle), and Calypso "up" (stands on hind legs) on command for a "cookie treat" (oxbow veggie treats broken into small pieces). :D

I've made fleece balls.. And pillows.. Which they LoVE! They jump on and off and sleep on them too! [GuineaPigCages.com] Entertaining my Piggy?!?[GuineaPigCages.com] Entertaining my Piggy?!?

Oh thats adorable! i wish i could so that well, or well, i wish i could sew AT ALL!

HIDE AND SEEK

I have the cheapest and easiest idea and my pigs just love it. During floor time (you will need a fairly sizable area) I spread out their playtime blanket then I get paper bag a small one (one for each) then small boxes I have saved, their PVC pipe from their cage and spread them about on the blanket. Then hide their favorite treats throughout the obstacle course. And lastly I drape one of their fleece throws over it all. They love tunneling and digging for treats. And believe it or not I think they play peek-a-boo because Lucy (my oldest) will pop her head out and if I look at her or laugh she popcorns and runs back under the blanket.
It is a lot of prep but once a week my kids are gone to grandmas so throughout the week I put aside items I normally throw away and once the floor is safe we play hide and seek.

My pigs love anything that makes sound, so I have a baby toy that rings when rolled in the cage, and another grass ball with a bell inside it which they love. Also, one of the things my pigs like the most in the kabob toy that has a bell at the end. They don't like the wooden chews, so I just take those off, and replace them with lettuce, pepper, etc. They love trying to pull it off, and making the bell ring at the same time. They also now know that when the bell rings it means veggie time :D As said above, a game of hide and seek is also quite fun for you and your pig! Just take the normal cut up veggies, and hide them all around the cage in different spots. Then put him back in, and watch as he runs around trying to find them all!

Edit: Also forgot to mention, that the best toy for your pig would be a friend. Just like us humans, we need interaction. Even if a human has a dog, they still need friends of their own kind, it's the same way with guinea pigs.

right now the toy of choice for my girls, is a Cornflake box.

Borat is endlessly entertained by tunnels. I can make them out of anything: store-bought plastic tunnels, boxes, paper bags, or anything else he can run through. I set him up different configurations in his playpen every day and you'd think he was a lab rat running for cheese.

I'm going to have to try out foraging bins. Amy's not into tunnels like Borat and there's no one particular form of entertainment she really likes, so that might pique her interest.

- Ice cubes with small cubes of fruit and veggies in them
- Paper bag (Always a hit)
- A large pile of hay in the middle of the cage (My friends pigs like running in to them)

My pigs really love things with bells. They have a treat kabob and a metal veggie ball, both equipped with bells that jingle when the piggie interacts with the toy. Mine also live piles of hay. They tunnel through the hay, stomp and popcorn on the hay, and eat their way through the hay! They love eating it, especially.

Also, mine like cardboard tunnels from the pet store, and the only one that I found I had to throw away after a cavy-lice infestation. So sad, they loved that thing horribly.

Mine are also immensely entertained by Fiddle Sticks, and they love to use their heads whilst underneath the tunnel to move it about the cage. Give them a few minutes with the tunnel, and they'll have taken it around the cage twice at least.

I'm looking into getting a little plastic tunnel that works like a giant bendy straw, in that it expands to many times its size. I think that the pigs would really love a bunch of those stuck together. :)

I'm looking into getting a little plastic tunnel that works like a giant bendy straw, in that it expands to many times its size. I think that the pigs would really love a bunch of those stuck together. :)

i had one of those. Whistles was too big for it/he tried to eat it. So I ended up returning it :p

Hmmm, I might not get it then. My sow, even though she is only 8 months, is naturally small and her vet and the rescue that I adopted her from said that she won't get any bigger. Griffin isn't too big (as far as I can tell, as these guys are my first pigs), and he is possibly around 1.5 years (no one knows his exact birthday, however Toni was born at the rescue, so I know that).

Anyway, I want to get them a more fun toy.

Hmmm, I might not get it then. My sow, even though she is only 8 months, is naturally small and her vet and the rescue that I adopted her from said that she won't get any bigger. Griffin isn't too big (as far as I can tell, as these guys are my first pigs), and he is possibly around 1.5 years (no one knows his exact birthday, however Toni was born at the rescue, so I know that).

Anyway, I want to get them a more fun toy.

if you gearing towards tunnels
i have successfully used these:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Yes, I was thinking more about tunnels because my pigs love to run through them, and I always get little piggie popcorns from them after a nice jaunt through the tunnel.

At my local PetSmart, we have these tunnels and I had seen them and liked them before, but they are about $15 and $20 each, which I wasn't sure I wanted to pay. (I'm cheap!)

Yes, I was thinking more about tunnels because my pigs love to run through them, and I always get little piggie popcorns from them after a nice jaunt through the tunnel.

At my local PetSmart, we have these tunnels and I had seen them and liked them before, but they are about $15 and $20 each, which I wasn't sure I wanted to pay. (I'm cheap!)

I still have the twig one. And despite all the nawing Whistles does on it, it has lasted him 3-4 years already. I was bought when we was a wee wittle piggy.

Wow, that is an impressive longevity for a twig tunnel! The reason I was a bit hesitant was because I know someone whose pig destroyed it in about 2 months. Hmmm, I might get a little twig one. Thanks!

Wow, that is an impressive longevity for a twig tunnel! The reason I was a bit hesitant was because I know someone whose pig destroyed it in about 2 months. Hmmm, I might get a little twig one. Thanks!

I might of gotten lucky and grabbed the INDUSTRIAL strength one xD
Tho I do only have 1 pig, I suppose if it received 24/7 nomming then it wouldn't last as long. Now that he's older and grown out of his younger piggy ways he like running through it. He prefers to eat cardboard rolls and his wooden hut now xD

Alright, I just made the piggies a tunnel! I took a Honey-Bunches of Oats box, and cut off the flaps (because they had glue on them, which I didn't want to bother the pigs). Then, I folded up a really cruddy piggy sac that I had, which was the exact length of the cereal box. The folded over sac is like the cushiony flooring for the tunnel.They are munching on it a little, and running through. They really seem to like it.

Also, I am getting ready to let them play with a little stuffed pig (as in hog, real pigs; not guinea pig lol) that I have. I hope that they enjoy it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.