Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Eddy pig has a big abscess

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Eddy Pig has a big closed abscess on his left cheek. I just found it. I'm going to call the vet in the morning but in the mean time I have some Baytril left over from the whole URI ordeal in December. Would it be OK or beneficial in anyway to give him the antibiotic? I don't want him to get sick over night. The abscess doesn't seem to cause him pain, or he is very tolerant of me touching it. He has not lost any weight and has been eating like normal all day. I believe it is an abscess from an injury (likely a bite) and not caused by teeth issues. Any advice appreciated.

Eddy Pig has a big closed abscess on his left cheek. I just found it. I'm going to call the vet in the morning but in the mean time I have some Baytril left over from the whole URI ordeal in December. Would it be OK or beneficial in anyway to give him the antibiotic? I don't want him to get sick over night. The abscess doesn't seem to cause him pain, or he is very tolerant of me touching it. He has not lost any weight and has been eating like normal all day. I believe it is an abscess from an injury (likely a bite) and not caused by teeth issues. Any advice appreciated.

I don't think it would do any harm to start him on the Baytril as long as you know the correct dose. If it's from a bite, the vet will probably be able to lance it and clean it out from the outside. If it's on the inside, it will probably need to be surgically removed. The vet visit is the right thing to do tomorrow. Good luck... I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Thank you. It is a bite abscess, I found the point of entry. Hopefully it does not require surgery, I don't think my husband would be too happy about that vet bill. lol I will call the vet in the morning and get an appointment for as soon as possible.

My guess is that he'll drain it, and you'll need to flush it to keep it open so that it heals from the inside out. To do that, you need a curved tip syringe, like the one below.

Guinea pig abscesses often have many pockets, and you need something you can turn in different direction to flush all the pus out. If the doctor doesn't have that syringe available and you can't find one at a pharmacy, sometimes a dentist will give you one -- they're used for people to flush the site where jaw teeth have been pulled.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Eddy pig has a big abscess

Yes I know that syring! I may still have one or two from my own jaw surgery this fall, I will have to look. I fed Eddy Pig his veggies away from the other guinea pigs in case he was hurting and eating slowly he ate everything except the peppers. He's been a bit testy today as well but now that I have found the abscess I know why. I will up date again tomorrow after we see the vet. Thanks again guys!

Poor Eddy! Hope everything goes well! Give him a smoochie from all of us!

I was able to drop Eddy Pig off this morning and I am still waiting to hear back from the vet. Hopefully everything is going well. I'm so nervous!

I'm sure he'll do well. My vet had me use diluted chorhexidine (diluted with water to a pale blue) and flush multiple times a day when my neutered male developed an abscess. The fact that it's on his face might be different, though. I had a female with an abscess on her forehead, above her eyes, that was the result of a bite. My vet had me treat that differently. I had to use a Qtip to clean out the pocket and then I squeeze a bit of polysporine in the pocket a couple of times a day. It healed really nicely and never came back. I was sort of squeamish about cleaning it out at first, but once I got the hang of it, it was easy. Just make sure the pocket doesn't close up or the vet will have to lance it open again. Please keep us updated.

The vet just called back, he said that he doesn't think Eddy Pig has an abscess or it is just so early it hasn't developed into a big puss pocket yet. The fluid he drew out of the bump was clear and watery. He is recommending that Eddy Pig is put on two antibiotics and culturing the fluid. The vet doesn't believe it is tooth problems but isn't sure it is from a bite either. Though I am positive I saw a scab on the abscess last night. Poor Eddy Pig. We are going to pick him up in a little while.

The vet just called back, he said that he doesn't think Eddy Pig has an abscess or it is just so early it hasn't developed into a big puss pocket yet. The fluid he drew out of the bump was clear and watery. He is recommending that Eddy Pig is put on two antibiotics and culturing the fluid. The vet doesn't believe it is tooth problems but isn't sure it is from a bite either. Though I am positive I saw a scab on the abscess last night. Poor Eddy Pig. We are going to pick him up in a little while.

That sounds like good news. You might have caught it early enough that the antibiotic takes care of it without having to mess around with it.

I hope so. The lump was quite big I thought, about the size of a small bouncy ball but if he doesn't need surgery that will make everyone happy, especially my husband. I would take pictures of the lump but since Eddy Pig is a fuzzy black teddy I don't think it would do any good instead here is Eddy Pig cuddling up to a teddy bear sleeping off his vet visit. lol

Glad to hear he is doing well! I love the first shot!

He's such a cute little guy. Love the photos...

Sweet little guy, I hope it clears up soon!

I think it is going away. It seems to me that the lump is smaller today than it was yesterday. Eddy Pig seems more himself today as well, less lethargic and grumpy more boss pig Eddy Piggish. Hopefully the lump will be gone shortly!

That's excellent news!! That picture of him and his plushie is so adorable!

Wow! That's great. You must've caught it shortly after it started forming.

Update: the lump is gone!! I can't believe it was this easy! Eddy has been off his feed a little so I have been wetting his pellets and that is getting him to eat. I'm also giving him water by string a few times a day since I have not seen him drink. Other than that he is doing awesome! A few more days of antibiotics and he should be good as new. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.