Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Eating poops

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
I know it's normal for guinea pigs to eat poop, but one of mine bends down and grabs his own poops out of his own bum before they can hit the ground, bites part off and leaves the rest alone. I found this odd and gross honestly. I've never seen my other pig do this...tho he could be more private about it. This guy does it right in my lap when we're watching TV!

double post. Sorry!

Last edited:
LOL. It is all part of the eating poo thing. I guess sometimes they are best straight out the oven. Patch loves to eat them while he is laying on my chest. Nothing like seeing that little mouth just a going on a fresh poop!

At least I'm not the only pig parent that puts my baby in the mood to inhale fresh poop!

krystlynngirl, guinea pigs have two different kinds of poops. One is called cecal poops, and that's likely what you see your pig eating. They're sort of green and mushy, not much at all like the "beans" of the other kind, or fecal poops. The cecal poops are a necessary part of their digestion -- eating those cecal poops keeps their GI tract in balance and helps them extract more nutrients from their food.

Not only will you see your pig eating his own poops, but if he doesn't feel well, he'll try to steal the other pig's cecal poops. When you see pigs walking around the cage and one has his nose up the other's butt, that's likely what's happening.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.