Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shavings Eating aspen shavings is this harmful?

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Earlier today when I was just kinda watching the piggies I noticed lizzie was eating something. She was on the bottom level of the cage and all their food is in their kitchen which is the loft. Some of the aspen shavings get on the fleece when they run down the ramp and that was what she was eating. She didn't really eat much she just nibbled a little but she definetly consumed some of it. I don't know if she has done this before when I'm not there. I read on the bag of aspen that if the animal consumes any of the shavings that you should consult a vet. Is this harmful to piggies if they consume a little bit of aspen? I haven't noticed my other gpig Marie doing this before but then again I don't know if she has been eating any of it when I'm not around. I keep them in my bedroom so I'm with them pretty often.

I have caught one of mine tasting shavings in the past and she is fine. I wouldn't think it is the best thing for them, but as long as she shows no signs of intestinal blockage (i.e. keeps on pooping), then she should be fine.

Okay thanks I will keep an eye on her so far she seems fine.

If he continues eating I would recommend switching bedding. I would be concerned about it consuming it like that. You could try Carefresh or try using fleece.

@Skippie I only use aspen in their hay Bin/litter box the rest of the cage is a piggy bedspread. I have noticed her eating it anymore since then I think she was just trying to taste test it since they have never had aspen before

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.