Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Easy Fleece Forest

@(broken link removed)
The links aren't working. Can you post pics? Thanks!

i left the blanket whole on the top then cut strips to push through the top to flap like a curtain the only tiring part was just cutting the strips but then i could pull it out whole since the strips are still connected to the top of the blanket

Won't the fleece fall easily though?

Here are the pictures of the fleece forest, sorry it took so long to get them back up here. Easy Fleece ForestEasy Fleece Forest

All I can say is you sure spoil you piggies..Neat house..Wish I had the room to do that..

absolutely beautiful i wish i had an extra room just for them

Will any fabric work? Or do they really prefer the fleece. I have lots of uphostery remnants I could use

No, not all fabrics will work. And the issue isn't whether or not they prefer the fleece.

Fleece is used because it's not absorbent, and it wicks the liquid through to the absorbent layer underneath, leaving the pig on a (mostly) dry surface. That's better for them, because their feet don't get irritated and they don't get urinary tract infections.

Other materials absorb the liquid, and the pig sits in its own wastes. It can then develop urine scald or bumblefoot.

Edited to add: Oops, I misread that -- I thought you were talking about fleece bedding rather than a fleece forest. You can use any kind of material that doesn't ravel and that the pigs don't eat for the forest. The advantage of fleece is that it doesn't ravel, and most pigs don't try to eat it.

No, not all fabrics will work. And the issue isn't whether or not they prefer the fleece.

Fleece is used because it's not absorbent, and it wicks the liquid through to the absorbent layer underneath, leaving the pig on a (mostly) dry surface. That's better for them, because their feet don't get irritated and they don't get urinary tract infections.

Other materials absorb the liquid, and the pig sits in its own wastes. It can then develop urine scald or bumblefoot.

Edited to add: Oops, I misread that -- I thought you were talking about fleece bedding rather than a fleece forest. You can use any kind of material that doesn't ravel and that the pigs don't eat for the forest. The advantage of fleece is that it doesn't ravel, and most pigs don't try to eat it.
Ok, will this matter even for the hanging down part of the forest?

@arionat799 sort of i cut all the strips all the way until there was about 1" in the middle and then alternate it in the grid

Made my first fleece forest today :) Thanks for the tips and photos everyone!

Easy Fleece Forest

Thank you for the idea, I just made Raven a fleece forest, I made it really quick since it is almost 1am, but it does the job nicely and she's already waddled her prego self over to have a go in it. Also made her a pompom and a hanging pompom.

This is such a great idea. I am so glad you came up with it! Thank you for sharing.

I tried making a fleece forest.....Sweetie Belle just sort of sat in it for awhile and then started chewing on one of the fleece strips o_O So I took it out. I dont think she understands the concept that it's for playing and sleeping, not eating xD

@Hhbean, Thank you so much for posting this Tutorial, I made my girls a fleece forest and before I had even finished hanging it, they were investigating and playing in it.

I made my fleece forest like that for mine when I set up my cage. I thought that was how we were supposed to make them. Guess I was ahead :)

I don't know about anyone else, but my piggies have decided that their forest was going to be their toilet!!! So . . . . I moved the litter box in that corner and used the fleece forest like a 'privacy curtain' for them! It's awesome!:)

I am so gonna try this!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.