Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Early intestinal blockage

Smudgetoffee

Cavy Slave
Pig's behaviour has been off the last few weeks. Luckily having eyes like a hawk means we've caught it very early on.

Our ~7 year old male Smudge has an intestinal blockage of some sort that the vets couldn't shift when they massaged him.

It sounds kind of like what happened 4 years ago when he got very ill and nearly died, a few doses of Fibreplex had him up and going again in hours. So we've started him back on:

3x1ml/day Fibreplex
3x0.5ml/day Infacol
1x0.18ml/day Loxicom
And apparently lots of lettuce.

Pooing and eating is normal (well I say normal, he has had impaction requiring intervention twice a day for several months, but there's no change in that eitherway). It's in his behaviour I noticed something odd, can't put my finger on it, he just looks sorry for himself.

Any advice? Cheers

Looking sorry for himself is probably a good reason for a vet check-up, particularly if he's not as active as he usually is. If he's "puffed up," he may be in pain.

That's more or less what they concluded yeah, he'll be in a lot of pain and need cuddles but since we got it early should be okay. Just could do with a few tips.

EDIT: He keeps twitching and sneezing a lot? :S

EDIT 2: Brought up a very very small amount of black discharge, not sure if it came from the mouth or nose. Could this be some kind of side effect of the medicine? He's still completely active and not wheezy.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.