Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Dwarf Hamster Fur loss and itchy skin

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi there...I have a dwarf hamster named Cheeks She started to get fur loss about a month ago on her back just behind her head..I brought her to the vet and they said to me she has mites...and put a drop of Ivermectin where the fur loss was..they said she will need 3 treatments of this and she got her second one 2 days ago..I found that after the first dose her skin became very dry and scabby ..and they said i should use a cream that is called HEAL it has aloe in it and it not dangerous for them...I feel very bad for her and was wondering if anyone has any advice???

I heard Aloe Vera is bad for guinea pigs but I read it somewhere on the internet...

I heard Aloe Vera is bad for guinea pigs but I read it somewhere on the internet...
I read that 2. So I would say not to use it for a gp, as far as for hamsters, I do not know....

I would not use the lotion. I'm not sure what would be best, although I would imagine a small dab of coconut oil or some other edible oil she would get anyway in her diet (sunflower seed oil for instance) would be safe. Are you giving her regular dust baths? You may want to decrease how many dust baths she gets until her treatment is complete, for example maybe just one a week, because the dust can be very drying.

Hello thanx for the reply..no she dosent get dust bath...as for the the ivertimicn im not giving it to her any more..she has on more dose but im not getting it....I will check about the sunflower seed oil...I just feel real bad for her :( have you ever heard of the cream called HEAL..its for mamals and such.

I would give her the last dose of ivermectin when it's time. You do want to make sure the mites are all dead.

I have never heard of that lotion. What are the ingredients?

Here is a link to the lotion that our vet gave up to put on her.

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.