Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

"dumped" pets at petstores

lorry

Cavy Slave
One of the petstores in my town (Petco) takes owner surrenders in quite often. I was wondering if any of you ever had taken these pigs in? (I go in because it's next to the feed store and my son likes to look at the snakes which isn't anything I can have in my house and still live there too!:D )

I kinda feel like I shouldn't, because I want the store to feel overwhelmed by the fact that there are too many pigs in their stores that aren't going anywhere. (There is also the point that I have 7 pigs myself and just paid a ton of money to get the second boar neutered!) Then...I saw the 2 boys today. They are 2 beautiful *huge* boars that are in fair shape. One is having some problem with the abdominal skin around his "parts". It looks sore but not infected or anything. (Too big to clean himself?) They are both overweight. They both have hair that is easily 5 inches long and they needed groomed BADLY! The whole way home I kept telling myself, "NO!". Then I got home...and got right back in the car! I asked the on duty manager if they were going to get groomed. She said she didn't see a problem. I put up a stink so she told me to see the in store groomer. I felt better after I held them while they got their trims. (The groomer was squemish and NOT happy with me!) I just keep thinking about what those pigs are going to look like and what kind of miserable existence they will have if the average person takes them. They need some time for grooming everyday if their hair is to stay that long. They apparently came in the tiny cage they are in now and that gets to go with them for free. It's maybe a 24x12 inch cage. I think the boys are probably 12 inches long and maybe 5 inches wide each. So sad.

They are not available til Sunday due to the store's policy of a "quarantine". That's only 72 hrs and what are they quarantining them from when the stores "healthy" pigs sit in a cage NEXT to these "might-be- diseased-owner-surrenders!" Just Ridiculous! Anyway, what do you guys think? Should I go pick them up on Sunday? Or let them there because it might promote them to...

Never mind. I think I answered my own question. I can't even think of a reason not to take them at this point. Even if the pet store does replace them at least the replacements wouldn't be tossed in a dumpster. There is no fee to take them so I'm not giving any money to the store (and tehe, I don't even buy supplies there!) I think my husband's gonna shoot me but I can't stand by. Even if they aren't meant to become part of my herd, (hence no expensive neutering!) I need to at least try to get them a home where I know they are cared for properly. I am supposed to take in a new lady gp this morning from our neighborhood. Maybe I should have titled this the "Help I'm turning into a sanctuary/rescue without trying to!" thread. :cheerful: Thank you all. I feel much better now. :cheerful:

If you can afford it financially, I'd say go for it. I don't think that's supporting the pet stores at all. But that's just my opinion.

Not that we have any trees growing $ over here but it is able to be done and everyone still get what they need. In fact, I don't think I've ever met anyone who fosters, rescues or even takes in strays that has piles of cash at their disposal! lol It's always that the "extra" money goes to a neuter, or a new kitten shows up at your door, or someone decides to get sick!

Anyway, if they aren't going to be permanent residents here an only stay to get rest and lovin's, I won't need to get them neutered as they seemed to get along very well in the tiny cage they are in for now.

Thank you for helping out those poor piggies! Make sure to send us some pics! Also make sure to do a proper quarantine from your own piggies. Good luck!

I got a sad mental image of a fat piggy trying to bend over to clean himself and getting frusterated and giving up :( I hope you deciede to give them a good home, even if it's temporary.

Weel they are here now. (I had written a big long post here about them, but I started drifting off and my finger hit the keyboard and erased it!) :eek:
I'll write it again tomorrow.

Pigtures!!! Don't forget those!

I'm glad you took them. My Oreo was dumped at a local Petco as well. He's by far my most inquisitive, friendly and inter-active piggie of my four. He greets anyone that's willing to stop and talk. I'd like to believe he's just appreciating his new situation compared to his old with whomever dumped him.

Several years ago, I took in a rat from a Petco. She was a young rat, with a note on the top of the cage. " Please someone take my rat and give it a good home. My mother won't let me keep her anymore. Do not give her for snakefood." A girl of 9 signed the note. (I forgot her name.) Needless to say I took the rat home.

Thank you for caring for the piggies.

I think it's so sad when younger people have to give up thier pets. When Shane was little, he went to see his grandma in Newfoundland and when he came back his rabbit was gone. His mom gave it away. My mom did that too actually, my cat had 5 kittens , and one day I came home from my dad's and only one was left, and the mom was gone too. She told me that she gave them to a big farm. Well, turns out, one of them drowned because she forgot to drain the bath water, and she put the rest in a box and left it outside the humane society. I was so mad at her. We could have found good homes ourselves. It makes me glad that I don't live there anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.