Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dry heaves?

TrekkiePiggies

Cavy Slave
When I was holding Bele today she looked like she was having dry heaves. Her whole body lurched forward once a second with accompanying gurgling noises. This only lasted a few seconds. She did not bring anything up (Or she swallowed it before it could escape), and is now acting completely normal. She just went to the vet yesterday and got a clean bill of health.

I know my dogs occasionally get the heaves if they eat too fast. Bele had just "engulfed" a baby carrot a few minutes prior to the dry heaves. I say "engulfed" because she takes very big bites for a pig. Could she just have had an upset stomach from eating too fast?

She is doing just fine right now, drinking some water and generally being herself.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Maybe she just had a little piece stuck in her throat and the heaving helped it go down. But I am not sure what else it could have been, I am glad she is back to normal.

honeypanda

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad to see this topic because this just happened to me last night! I was holding one of my girls, and I actually fell asleep with her on my chest (I do that a lot) and I woke up to her dry heaving. She did it for about half a minute, then stopped. I watched her after that and she is acting normally. Freaked me out, though, because she's my favorite. (Shhh, don't tell the others. Oh, they know.)

I didn't know guinea pigs threw up, and it sure looked like she was going to.

clotho

Cavy Slave
From everything I"ve read on here, guinea pigs cannot throw up.

I would keep a very close eye on her and make sure you don't see any other signs of illness. If you are not already weighing her regularly, you should start, and make sure she isn't losing weight.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs cannot throw up nor can they get dry heaves. What your pigs experienced was most likely choking or they had food caught in their throats and they were coughing to get it back up. In guinea pigs the coughing sounds a bit strange. The coughing motion looks like a pig that is going to hurl but they physically cannot throw up. It's pretty normal for pigs that eat too fast to choke and then cough to get what's caught in their throats unstuck.

tattooyu

Cavy Slave
Our pig Jackson does that on occasion. More times than not, he does the heaving just prior to curling under and eating a caecal poop. It's almost like he's doing warm up exercises before the big curl!

:crackup:

webjetter

Cavy Slave
Whew! I've recently seen one of my piggies do that ... I'm relieved it's nothing to worry about.

TrekkiePiggies

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Ly! I was hoping it was just a simple problem like that and not anything more serious. I've been trying to get Bele to eat smaller bites and chew more thoroughly by rotating the carrot so she can only grab a bit of it, then taking it away while she chews each bite. But she still occasionally takes these huge bites (I don't know how she even fits them into her mouth), so I think I'm going to start shredding her carrots from now on to help prevent choking hazards. I may need to shred other hard foods too; we'll see.

Interesting that pigs cannot vomit--when my first pig (5 yr old Teddy boar named Teddy) died of what seemed to be a fast abdominal cancer, I found him with what looked like vomit around his mouth. Any ideas what that might have been? He died a long time ago, but I'd still like to know what happened if you can think of anything that might have caused it.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Yup, sounds like heaving hiccups. I don't know what might have been round your other pig's mouth, sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.