Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Drops in water...

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
I was considering going to a new vet that is closer to my house, but I was browsing on their website and noticed a "guinea pig care" section. I clicked on it and was surpriesed to see that they recommend putting Vitamin C drops in the pigs' water bottles. Needless to say, I don't believe I will be switching to them! What surprised me the most was that they are an exotics practice and are certified by the list that I found, I think it was on gl? Anyway, anyone have thoughts on this?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Yeah, they delute after about 2 hours and then make the water bad and the guinea pigs won't drink it. It can turn them off to water all together. Vitamin C pellets in their food, veggies with Vitamin C, small dish of 100% pure cranberry juice or bannas or strawberries is the best way to go.

I have Vitamin C in my water. My pigs love it! They diffinitly(sp) DON'T stop drinking it. But if it is such a problem, can somebody tell me why?

It disintergrates in water rapidly. You probably think your pigs are getting lots of vitamin C but in actual fact most of it is lost

ok. But will it really matter then. Since my pigs like it? But I guess it would save some money. So...

The first "exotic vet I went to got my piggies mixed up. They were going to give dosage of medications to wrong piggies. They though Penny was nickle and visa versa. They never appologized to me about this mix up and I gave them my two cents worth. I changed to another "exotic vet" and they gave me a pamphlet on guinea pigs. When I got home I read it and got so angry. It had outdated information in it. If I find fault with every "exotic "vet I see for piggies, there will be none left.

I think the only thing wrong with putting Vit C drops in water is that you are throwing your money and your vitamins away. When I first got pigs, I got sucked into the whole drops in the water thing. The pigs didn't mind at all and drank tons of water. The problem is that the vitamin c in the water disappears very quickly and they don't end up getting enough. I give tablets now and they crunch them up like treats. Make sure you get ones without added sugar though.

I read somewhere that 50% of the vitamin C has not degraded after 24 hours in water. My vet suggested vitamin C in the water as long as I change it everyday. Personally, I don't bother putting it in water because my pig drinks almost zero water.

I'd be interested in giving him chewable vitamin C tablets. I have only been able to find the 500mg chewable (with sugar, of course) and the swallowable. Has anyone got a brand they can recommend? I assume aspartame is not good for pigs?

Go to a health food store to find Vitamin C tablets. Aspartame isn't good for them either.

I got oxbow vitamin c tabs from my vet

My vet also mentionned the drops in the water, but I will not stop going to see him about this. Vets are not perfect and they are all wrong at one time or another. It is up to us to educate our vets with the kowledge that we have so that they are better able to help guinea pig owners who are not so well informed. My vet listens to me very well and he never says that I am wrong, unless he is absolutely sure that I am. Most vets are willing to learn with you, because they realize that they do not always know everything. Especially mine, becuase he is not an exotics expert, but he is still the best that we have around here. All of our vets went to the same university, so they all have the exact same training, but he has gotten some extra training on the side so that he could help more exotics, without sending them to a vet that is over 2 to 3 hours away. So if a vet tells you to put drops in water, just bring them in some of the research that says you shouldn't and they will probably listen to you and change their view on it. If they don't it is probably time to get a new vet.

I agree with Suzy_99, although a vet may mix things up and not be very well informed on something, what should really matter is wether or not he cares about your animal and is willing to accept that he may not know everything. If you can find a vet that is at least willing to learn with you about your animal, then that is great because it also benifits new piggies owners by making sure they have the correct info.

It is up to us to educate our vets with the kowledge that we have so that they are better able to help guinea pig owners who are not so well informed.
I agree with you in many ways, I've done a lot of educating myself. On the other hand, guinea pigs are not that strange as far as animals go, it's not like we have some rare spotted toads or something. ;) But still, if we are educating are vet, shouldn't they be paying US instead or reducing their fees if they don't really know guinea pigs?

I've seen 6 different vets and my current one is the best there is, she knows many many things that others don't. But still, she gave my pig 2 shots of Ivermectin (at $20/shot) for 'mites' when it was actually lice and charged me $60 for the last visit which included 1 shot and 1 weighing.. Then I spent $60 more for medicine to treat the lice myself, successfully, I might add. My visa bill is staggering. It is just getting too expensive.

holli'smommy said:
I agree with Suzy_99, although a vet may mix things up and not be very well informed on something, what should really matter is wether or not he cares about your animal and is willing to accept that he may not know everything. If you can find a vet that is at least willing to learn with you about your animal, then that is great because it also benifits new piggies owners by making sure they have the correct info.
I beg to differ on this. I don't think you would be saying this if this was your own doctor. When I go to my vet I expect the best care possible. I certainly wouldnt want a doctor that mixes things up and is not well informed. And if that is the case then the Vet should set things straight in the beginning and tell me he knows nothing about piggies and direct me to a vet that does.

I'm not saying that it's exceptable for vets to mix things up, but their profession if harder than a human doctor's. Vets have to learn hundreds of species of animals in order to become a vet. Doctors only have to learn one species. So of course I expect the best from my MD. And you are correct a good vet would direct you to another vet if a better one was around, but what if there's not, if he is willing to learn more about cavies than that is really great. That's all I mean.:)

holli'smommy said:
I'm not saying that it's exceptable for vets to mix things up, but their profession if harder than a human doctor's. Vets have to learn hundreds of species of animals in order to become a vet. Doctors only have to learn one species. So of course I expect the best from my MD. And you are correct a good vet would direct you to another vet if a better one was around, but what if there's not, if he is willing to learn more about cavies than that is really great. That's all I mean.:)
Well if there not another doctor around, thats another story. If you can find a caring doctor who is willing to listen and work with you then thats great. Actually that would be one in a million. Any doctor I have come across is usually a know it all and has no interest in what I have to say. :)

Beleive me I know the type.;) I have helped out in large animal hospitals since I was 15, there are a few who are willing to learn, they are just hard to find.

my vet actually does adjust his fees for my guinea pigs, especially since he is not an expert. His regular exam fee is $36 but he is willing to see all four of my guinea pigs for the short exam fee of only $25. All the treatments I got so far were very affordable, the ivermectin injections were only $11 for all four and the weighing was free. This is not the case with all of our vets, but I have a longstanding relationship with ours since we have so many animals, and they are always willing to accomodate us in any way necessary.

As for human doctors, I do find that you still have to do your own research before trusting everything that a doctor says, For example, I have suffered from migraines from a very young age and I had a doctor who did not beleive in them, he simply said that I had a headache and told me to go home and take a tynelol. I did some research, asked him for a preventative medicine, he refused and I switched doctors. When I was 6 I had very severe complications from tonsilytis because I went to 3 different doctors who refused to take my tonsils out saying that it was "just a phase". So our doctors are not perfect either, new research is constantly coming out and it is hard to stay on top of it all. It is much easier for us to stay informed about particular things that affect us then it is for a doctor, because he/she has to know about everything. We should research our medications, treatments, preventions, immunizations and so on, in case there is something out there that our doctors are not aware of or just forgot to mention. This is relevant with everything not just vets and doctors. After all, we are just human and can never expect perfection.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.